• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to get Dexter to fly more. Good news and bad news

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
As per @JLcribber and others advice, I've been encouraging Dexter to fly everywhere.
Good news: he's flying more.
Bad news: he's crashing almost constantly.
Dexter and I live in a small room 95% of the time. He's not allowed out of my room without a diaper, which he doesn't like much. He lets me put it on, but he spends the whole time trying to remove the diaper. So, we spend almost every day in the room. Once it is warm outside, I'll be taking him out everyday, but we remain shut ins until then. Dexter has been flying more and more, even inside the small room we share. However, it is so small that he usually crashes. Mostly into walls. I'm concerned he'll injure him self. I'm not going to clip him again (he still is clipped, he's taking a very long time to molt, started molting in december) but I'm not sure how to avoid this crashing, or if I should just let him do it until he gets used to flying again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So that just means your room is not bird friendly. If you had strategic sturdy landing stations mounted up high he would have "targets" to focus on and safe places to land. They also need to be up high because flying "down" is a one of the hardest and last things they learn. If you watch the birds in your yard you will notice they start up high, swoop down using gravity to accelerate, then swoop up towards their landing station again using gravity to slow down/brake. Imitate that kind of environment.

A landing station is as easy as two shelf brackets and a big dowel/2x4.
Mount Bracket Dowel.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he is still clipped enough to not get lift then you need to make soft landing place down low for now for safety.