• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to find a home

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Several weeks ago when the temps here in northern Illinois were dismally in the negatives, I spotted a tortoiseshell kitty on our deck, shivering and eyeing our wild birds @ the feeder off the deck. Figuring she was "lost" I put out one of our cat carriers from when we had cats, lined with old rags and towels, wrapped the outside of the carrier in an old blanket and put a heavy duty garbage bag around it to keep out the wind and rain/sleet/snow. Kitty figured out it was for her protection and used it.

Since she stuck around, I picked up some cat food and fed her - she wouldn't come in but quickly figured out my feeding schedule.

Now she is coming in, I feed her twice a day in the laundry room where she also has water and a litter box, as well as some cushions to sleep on. I also put her outside twice a day so she has some fresh air for 1-2 hours but knows she's coming in. She's litter trained, has all her nails, lets me pick her up and will curl up on a chair or sofa (while I watch her like a hawk).

My dilemma: our lease does not allow for any pets other than, ahem, a bird. We just renewed our lease and are here for another 3 years. Apart from that, I have a flock of birds and am not willing to jeopardize their safety for Cocoa (named by my son's GF).

Contacted 1 no kill shelter - they're full due to the severity of this winter and the fact that kittens take first place over adult cats. I cannot and will not let this cat go to a kill shelter; she's obviously been someone's pet, is a little scared of men but does adjust to them. i can pick her up and hold her without a struggle and she loves being stroked, petted and scratched under her chin, behind her ears and between her shoulder blades. You can stroke her from :huh: head to tail, she arches her back and rubs against your legs. She has all her nails and could very easily use them IF she so desired.

The very nice lady @ the Buddy Foundation gave me #s of other no kill shelters and I'll be calling them for the next few days. Does anyone nearby want a cute shorthair, tortie, kitty, apparently female and friendly who just wants a warm place to curl up in?

And if not, does anyone have any suggestions?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so nice of you to save her..hope she finds a wonderful home.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hope you can find her a place to call home. Pictures?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Will post some when I get home. Justin's discovered she's also a lap cat and that she's wafting so we'll have to change her food a little. He was puttering in the garage last night sitting down and she apparently made herself comfortable in his lap. She's a really sweet little girl, if it weren't for the birds and the lease, I'd keep her.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
How sad. In my complex there are too many strays to count...my heart goes out to them. Thanks for giving the little girl a warm place to sleep and eat..hope she finds a wonderful forever home:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Good luck finding her a home. Being in the country, stray cats (and pregnant stray cats) find their way to me rather often, and it is hard to find homes for any but the young kittens. Thank you for helping her.

Sunshine1313

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for helping her! I wish I could help, but can't. Good luck on finding her a home. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
This was Coco when she first showed up in the polar vortex

The cat we don't have, who also isn't pregnant but looks like she's swallowed a bowling ball, now lives in our laundry room and that "70's room garage".

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Coco is actually a very good kitty, she uses her litter box and is more than happy to climb on your lap if you sit down. She's also a good mouser which is good since we do have mice in the garage.

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
So sweet! Not like that, like the crazy Noodle boy dangling in my avatar :smuggrin:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Start complaining to your landlord about the mice in the garage, then ask if you can get a cat to take care of the problem.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
The second picture looks like he is covered in beautiful flames. :heart:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
:omg: What a crew you have there! Never a dull or quiet moment I assume. Beautiful :heart2: