• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trouble getting JoJo and BScoot back in the cage at night

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Chickie I can lure with a sunflower seed. Both these guys are full by bedtime, so treats don't work. Plus JoJo is not stepping up on my finger anymore. I had recall trained JoJo , I'll have to start over on that. Do you folks have this problem? Any ideas appreciated.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Will they step up onto a perch?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Quack is sometimes hard to get to step up from the bird room floor. Perches no longer work with her there as she will lunge at my hand if she really doesn't want to. She usually puts her head down if she doesn't want to step up. I don't push as I can usually let her have some floor time even after the others have come downstairs and I tell her to call me when she's ready. I check in on her and sometimes have a few false alarms (the bird who cried wolf). :p But if I really want her to come and the promise of a pecan doesn't work (it usually does), I go for her beak with thumb and forefinger and control her beak and get her to step up on my other hand. This actually works quite nicely and she steps up willingly when she sees the other hand coming in.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobby certainly wanted nothing to do with bed time when he first got here. He would fly all over the room and make us chase him about for half an hour or so. Luckily he hates to bite and eventually would step up. Now he usually goes to the top of sisters bedroom door and tries to nap and hope we don't notice. I just walk over and he now will step up and let me scritch him and talk to him then walk over to his house, and he starts learning towards his cage. Sometimes if he really doesn't want to go I might get a ferocious beaking. Sometimes he goes in on his own to eat or get a drink so we gently walk over and close his door.
Sometimes food works but he's gotten wise to that too. Funny thing is he really is tired but doesn't want to admit he wants go to bed.
We usually give him his favorite healthy cracker once he goes in to make it a positive and fun experience.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi used to step up fine but the closer she got to adulthood she only does it when she wants and when sitting on the edge of her play top. I have learned (or she trained me) to make her the last birdie that goes to bed. She watches me get everything ready and I tell her its night night time and she goes in by herself.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Fortunately, Pilo will kill for a Raspberry and always flys to my shoulder if I leave his sight! So getting him to bed in his night cage is an easy routine! Albiet, at times doesn't want to go and will resist the treat, so I play peekaboo with him for 5 minutes and then he is happy to go to his perch for the treat! Who says birds aren't sentient!:rolleyes:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
No I don't have this problem. Angel and Henry are trained to step up & down from inside and outside the cage. I have also trained them to only go to the play gym, cages, table, floor and ourselves when out of their cage.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thanks for the input folks! Jennifer no they aren't stick trained but will step up on a rope perch. I'll try that tonight. Janice, lucky you! Last night I put a little seed in their dish and once JoJo noticed it, he went right in. @Shinobi, Peter when you have time could you please share how you trained your birds to step up and down in the cage? thanks!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
When I need Joey to go into his cage, I tap on the perch. He knows that means he gets a pine nut or bit of pecan.
When he sits on the perch, he then does his 3-spins and raises his foot to shake my finger. i say "thank you" give him his treat as I clicker. We do that sequence when he is outside of the cage as well.
When he ignores me, I use the t-stick with promise of a treat to get him to step up...because usually by that stage he will give beak and a bite.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Have you tried creating a "getting ready for nite-nite" routine?
When I am ready to have them go to bed, i do my clean up ritual, fresh water and pellets, clean the cage floor, take out the cage covers..by then Joey has already gone into his cage and to his sleeping perch.
Although Our activities happen during the day, by 6 p.m., he is ready to be rid of me.....

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I used to put a little treat in Blu's cage to get him in there for the night. But then one day he decided he wasn't having it anymore

So I just said "you gotta go night night" & turned the light off (but still had a little lamp on so it wasn't completely dark) and he goes in his cage by himself

As of today, a few months later, it still works for us. I just hope he never stops the new routine. :hehe:

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I turn the lights down. Wait 5 minutes. If they don't head home on their own then I start shooing them there. Only took a couple weeks and they all know now. :)

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I turn a light on in a back room (so not completely dark), tell them it is bed time and turn the light in the room off. Once it is darker, Cricket flies to me and gets "kisses" (nose bump on beak) and a couple of head scritches and I pop him in the cage.

Watson does not like to be handled and still doesnt fly but he is smart. Once Cricket is in, I just have to tell Watson to go to bed and step back from the cage to give him some space. He then puts himself to bed and gets lots of verbal praise.

Without turning the lights out, I can't get them in without a chase.

I should say I did not train Cricket to fly to me when the lights go off...he just does it every night.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Have you tried creating a "getting ready for nite-nite" routine?
When I am ready to have them go to bed, i do my clean up ritual, fresh water and pellets, clean the cage floor, take out the cage covers..by then Joey has already gone into his cage and to his sleeping perch.
Although Our activities happen during the day, by 6 p.m., he is ready to be rid of me.....
That is also what I do. And I also make it darker in the room too. They know it's bedtime, and in the end I preen them and after some minutes they put themselves to sleep.
I have the same routine every day, and that is what works for me. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is also what I do. And I also make it darker in the room too. They know it's bedtime, and in the end I preen them and after some minutes they put themselves to sleep.
I have the same routine every day, and that is what works for me. :)

That is the secret. Consistent routine. Which is training. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
tonight they went into their cages early first chance i could get. Lights just went out though, they were finishing up dinner.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
The next question is " how do you get your bird into their cage in an emergency?"

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My female caique is brushing up on recall training. The male I find can be enticed with seeds. We are doing extensive trick training so he gets full with walnuts.