• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tropimix???

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
does anybody feed this to their cockatiels?
Zupreem was huge flop and I will grind it up for toppers for their soft food, (the only way they will eat it) and for making into birdy bread.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't feed Hagen's Tropimix, but Hagen's Tropican pellets are the only pellets all 3 of mine will eat. I can get 2 of them to eat Roundybush, but they very much prefer Tropican. Mine aren't cockatiels though.

Lifetime Formula - Hari

I plan on trying them on Harrison, when next it's available.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I first adopted Tinga, his old owner gave me a bag of Tropimix as well as a bag of Tropican pellets. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember too much about it in detail. Tinga did like it (as it was what he was used to at the time) but I think I wasn't a fan of the dried fruit it in. So I kept on with the pellets and added fresh chop.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I used to mix it with Roudybush and Harrison's for my lovebirds. I stopped though, because neither of them touched the pellets in it, meaning it was essentially just an expensive seed mix. I think they were a bit too hard for them, or the shape or colour put them off. Not sure. I remember it being a good blend though, so if they'll eat it then I'd go for it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, these pellets are smaller and there is no food coloring in them that is why I choose it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I prefer to not buy premixed pellets because you then don't know the true ratio of food. I have also found they rarely eat everything in those mixes, and they are usually more expensive than buying a pellet and a good mix and combining them (something like Goldenfeast, for example). However there isn't anything wrong with Tropimix, just some things to think about.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I prefer to not buy premixed pellets because you then don't know the true ratio of food.
i think that was my issue too. I know Tinga ate his favourites out of the Tropimix (the dried fruit etc) but it was hard to tell if he was eating an appropriate portion of pellets. I like to serve a separate bowl of pellets and a separate bowl of chop. I'm more likely to add their "favourite" extras to their chop to tempt them to eat their veggies. 2 of my birds do eat their veggies pretty well (the 3rd only eats the sweet potato), but again all 3 very much prefer Tropican pellets.

But like said above, there's nothing wrong with Tropimix. It's just works better for us if the pellets are separate.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
None of my 3 would even touch the Tropican pellets :( I threw the whole bag away
Haha - I wish mine liked them less. Not that I think there's anything wrong with Tropican, just that Roundybush and Harrisons are said to be the best. The fault is mine for not trying to mix their pellet variety up earlier. I worry now what I'll give Ara if ever Tropican pellets should no longer be made.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Haha - I wish mine liked them less. Not that I think there's anything wrong with Tropican, just that Roundybush and Harrisons are said to be the best. The fault is mine for not trying to mix their pellet variety up earlier. I worry now what I'll give Ara if ever Tropican pellets should no longer be made.

I've offered them all to Jingo since he was 3 months old... still doesn't like Harrison's, and only occasionally likes Roudybush. So don't beat yourself up!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've offered them all to Jingo since he was 3 months old... still doesn't like Harrison's, and only occasionally likes Roudybush. So don't beat yourself up!
I've recently discovered that mine like Harrison's only when softened. They both grab bits of it and dunk it in their water before they eat it. I always thought they just didn't like them.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
i think that was my issue too. I know Tinga ate his favourites out of the Tropimix (the dried fruit etc) but it was hard to tell if he was eating an appropriate portion of pellets. I like to serve a separate bowl of pellets and a separate bowl of chop. I'm more likely to add their "favourite" extras to their chop to tempt them to eat their veggies. 2 of my birds do eat their veggies pretty well (the 3rd only eats the sweet potato), but again all 3 very much prefer Tropican pellets.

But like said above, there's nothing wrong with Tropimix. It's just works better for us if the pellets are separate.
This was one of the other reasons I stopped. I make my own seed mix to go with the pellets now, because good ones are too hard to find here.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This was one of the other reasons I stopped. I make my own seed mix to go with the pellets now, because good ones are too hard to find here.
What's in your seed mix. I can never find anything without sunflower seed in them.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There's only one (Ara) that outright refuses to try the Roundybush. I give all of them a spoon feed nightly. It's made up of 50/50 ground Roundybush pellets & puréed veggies. Ara loves it. She is very impatient for her turn. So if she'd only try the dry pellets, I'm sure she'd like them.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What's in your seed mix. I can never find anything without sunflower seed in them.
Currently it's a mix of hemp seed and hearts, milk thistle seeds, quinoa, flax seed, pepitas, chia, and millet. I too found it pretty hard to get anything without sunflower. Budgie mixes will sometimes not have it, but they're also mostly millet and I prefer a bit more variety.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've recently discovered that mine like Harrison's only when softened. They both grab bits of it and dunk it in their water before they eat it. I always thought they just didn't like them.

Jingo is a dunker so I tried that approach but he was pretty miffed about it. :p He eats their bird bread with gusto though! He used to eat the Harrison's occassionally but now even with the high potency he has zero interest.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am getting a 6 oz. pkg of Intune from Higgins to try it also. I called them today.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Ive tried Harrisons and Roudybush, Lucy wont touch either of them, but she loves the Tropican pellets.
She will eat the tropimix, but she prefers the goldenfeast madagascar which is easier for me to get without ordering online.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I add a dash of the Tropican to their food mix every week to keep things interesting. I want to say the majority of them eat them - I myself can't stand the smell... bubblegumesque? *bleh*