• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tricky Cockatoos

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
No wonder my vet said that nearly all the goffins he sees have something "almost like psychosis" which drives most of their behavioral issues.

The poor things must be nearly (or actually) out of their minds with boredom in an unenriched environment.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keno is not problematic and I don't notice any psychotic type behaviors. She's crazy but by that I mean silly. :wacky: Of course, it does depend on the individual bird and how they are raised.

BTW, fun article. I would love to get Keno some key boxes (a little bit smaller than what they are using). I think she would have fun with those.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thankfully Luv Bug has always had a "village" around to raise her. I could see how they might be a bit much for one person if that person wasn't able to dedicate most of his or her time to actively playing with them. She can be a bit much sometimes but at least my husband and I can give each other a break. The more she learns to play with toys the more she is able to entertain herself but she's still a lot of bird for such a little girl. :faint: It is really fun to watch her beautiful eyes and see her mind work when she's figuring out a new toy, though. It's so rewarding! :joyful:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have said from day one that Elvis was smart. LOL. You really can see him thinking and trying to figure things out. Luckily, he doesn't have any psychotic behavior either. Even my vet commented on what a nice bird he was. But I do feel pressure to try to keep him mentally stimulated.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Trust me when I say this isn't just Goffin's that it applies to! I think all Cockatoos are incredibly smart and love to be around people and are little entertainers...very complex birds!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Now I know why I'm exhausted. :lol:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Dexter has figured out how to open his cage.. Meant for large birds. He jiggles the door until the latch becomes undone and comes out. He also figured out how to break one of the food doors not in use, now I use chains to keep it closed.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Fozzie Bear, RB2, totally knows how to get out of any cage that has those tabs that swing on a screw. He's currently in an AA cage but it's really not big enough for him and Kishie and I will be switching them to a Cal cage but Leo and Letti RB2s know how to get out of that one and I'm sure he will figure that one out too, so the locks will be remaining on that cage. Leo and Letti will be going to a Kings cage with the tabs on the feeder doors and I'm wondering how long it will take for them to figure that out!:). I would really like to get both pairs EH cages but Jon says, "Get a second job to pay for them!" Lol!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
But were they ever intended to be in a cage? I guess one needs to build a Cockatoo house for them and then your own house for the humans!
Why not? I know people with houses for their cats