• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tricks are useful! (AKA: Indy waves hello)

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
When I first learned that you could teach parrots tricks, my first thought was "THAT IS SO CUTE!" But then I also thought "Well, it seems kind of silly... is it worth it?"

But the more I learned about trick training, the more I realized that not only is it a great way to build trust with your bird in a fun way, but trick training also allows your bird to communicate with you.

I took this video a while ago, but here is an example of that idea in action! I taught Indy how to wave a while ago, but now, when I walk past his cage, I know when he wants attention from me because we will wave at me. So here is Indy bird waving at me for head scratches. :xflove:

(I also just like showing my bird off, what can I say?)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how cute! Indy has you trained now too!:heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Indy is adorable by the way.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I was going to say who has who trained.
He definitely has me trained! I don't know how he did it, but he also taught me to 'bow' my hand before petting him to ask if he wanted head scratches. :p

Buckbeak taught me how to whistle. I didn't know how to whistle before I lived with birds. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
awww, so very cute!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
So cute! :heart: And yes, he learned to train you quite well! :lol:

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I thought that was the idea of training them - so that you had a means of communication. I have been watching the Barbara Heidenreich? not sure if I got her last name right - videos - I rented some of them. I really thought it was a way to communicate and empower the bird. If he wants the reward, be it head scratches, or a treat, he does it. If "now is not the best time," then he doesn't. Nothing happens - neither good nor bad.

No, I don't see it as you taught him a "trick" but rather you taught him a great way to let you know he was wanting some love and affection. And use his intelligence to communicate his needs and desires to you, rather than to scream or do something else that is a less than desirable action.

I think it is wonderful that he and you are communicating with each other. :) Far above and beyond "training". I think it is great that you "ask" him if he would like to be pet, via bowing your hand. It shows respect. I am so glad that I got to read this and see the video. It is wonderful to see some of the things that are possible. :)

According to Susan Friedman every time you and he do that, you are depositing into the trust account of the relationship. :) Which I am sure you already knew, but it helps get it lodged deeper in my head, what things build trust, as I am trying to do the same with my budgie. :) It is great to see you and your cockatiel interacting and communicating with each other. :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
When I first learned that you could teach parrots tricks, my first thought was "THAT IS SO CUTE!" But then I also thought "Well, it seems kind of silly... is it worth it?"

But the more I learned about trick training, the more I realized that not only is it a great way to build trust with your bird in a fun way, but trick training also allows your bird to communicate with you.

I took this video a while ago, but here is an example of that idea in action! I taught Indy how to wave a while ago, but now, when I walk past his cage, I know when he wants attention from me because we will wave at me. So here is Indy bird waving at me for head scratches. :xflove:

(I also just like showing my bird off, what can I say?)

That is too cute! Indy is adorable!