• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trick training nipping?

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I have been doing trick training with Gypsy my 2yo B&G for a while now and she is doing great. I am sure she enjoys the time and the fun. I use mainly sunflower seeds for treats and occasionally add in little pieces of walnut (her absolute favourite food). Just lately when I go to reward her after a trick she has started nipping me. She is not striking and not biting but giving me a hard deliberate pinch instead of taking the treat :huh:. And sometimes she squeals as she does it. I have tried to figure this out, but the only thing I can think of is she is cross at not getting walnut all the time. So, if that is the case what should I do? Should I stop treating with walnut all together? Any advice would be very welcome, thanks!!

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Is this toward the end of the training session? Could it be that she is telling you she is done training for the day?
It does also sound like your first instinct was right though and she is miffed at not getting the reward she REALLY wants. They do say to use their favorite treat, maybe this is her way of telling you to re-read that chapter LOL!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel will do this at times. ;) I use mostly pine nuts but will also use any small piece of nut.

For Korbel it's when he is over excited and I want to say when he thinks the rewards are not coming fast enough. When he starts this I slow done the rewards and talk in a softer tone to be easy. I will also set the reward on the ground next to him and shorten the session. I think it's a young bird thing as none of my other birds do it. It will go away just as fast as it started up.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Thank you! Both great pieces of advice which I will try out. I guess it makes sense to experiment with just one type of treat and see what happens and also finish earlier. Sometimes if I am not fast enough with the treats Gypsy runs through a whole series of tricks in a row as if to say, "Look here, see what I can do, now TREAT me!"

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
my galah also gets nippy when too excited during training.
also, you should post a video of her tricks!

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
my galah also gets nippy when too excited during training.
also, you should post a video of her tricks!
I do have a video but am such a techno dummy I couldn't post it. I am going to see if my son can help me out. Hopefully soon!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could always try making her reach for the treat instead, but keeping far enough away that she can't bite, or delivering the reward in another manner - i.e. in a spoon.