• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
What treats do you guys feed your conures? I'm allergic to most nuts especially peanuts so my treat selection is a bit more limited! I wanted to see what other people give to their conures so maybe I could find some to use myself.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I don’t have a conure YET ;):rolleyes:. Have you tried Millet, seeds and fruit?

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
I don’t have a conure YET ;):rolleyes:. Have you tried Millet, seeds and fruit?
I actually don't have a conure yet either! He's gonna finally be with me at the beginning of August!
I thought fruit was supposed to be part of their regular diet? And that millet was mainly for budgies? But thank you of reminding me of seeds I am not allergic to sunflower seeds at all so that would be a perfect treat!

(BTW I hope you have success finding a conure buddy!)

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Pepitas, safflower and sunflower seed. Any other food that is enjoyed like dried coconut, peas etc.
Some birds are happy with praise because they are not food motivated.
Whatever your bird really likes can be a treat/reward.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I actually don't have a conure yet either! He's gonna finally be with me at the beginning of August!
I thought fruit was supposed to be part of their regular diet? And that millet was mainly for budgies? But thank you of reminding me of seeds I am not allergic to sunflower seeds at all so that would be a perfect treat!

(BTW I hope you have success finding a conure buddy!)
Millet can be for all birds but is most common with budgies and tiels, good luck with seeds!

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
Pepitas, safflower and sunflower seed. Any other food that is enjoyed like dried coconut, peas etc.
Some birds are happy with praise because they are not food motivated.
Whatever your bird really likes can be a treat/reward.
Thanks for the help!!
From experience or what you read online would you say conures are more food motivated or praise motivated?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly don’t know much about conures at all other than they are very gorgeous birds.
I know that @Lodah has a little cutie called Pilo who asks for raspberries and ice cream a lot! :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I think it would depend on the birds personality, for example if it was a timid bird that didn’t like to be touched it would probably be more food motivated where as a bird that lives for snuggles could enjoy praise more.

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
I think it would depend on the birds personality, for example if it was a timid bird that didn’t like to be touched it would probably be more food motivated where as a bird that lives for snuggles could enjoy praise more.
Yeah if the little guy is shy I wouldn't think that he'd like me screaming and doing big movements when he does a trick!
I honestly don’t know much about conures at all other than they are very gorgeous birds.
I know that @Lodah has a little cutie called Pilo who asks for raspberries and ice cream a lot! :)
Icecream is safe for birds? If so my little guy will thrive in my freezer!;).

Thanks for the help guys!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah if the little guy is shy I wouldn't think that he'd like me screaming and doing big movements when he does a trick!

Icecream is safe for birds? If so my little guy will thrive in my freezer!;).

Thanks for the help guys!!

No I’ve cream is not really safe for birds although I’m sure Burt (my bird) would love it if he was allowed some Lol. Pilo just asks for it all the time ;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh boy the peanut allergy thing nixes nutriberries. Are you allergic to the point you can't handle peanuts at all?

@Mizzely has done a lot of research on contents of food.

Fruit shouldn't be given daily. It can lead to yeast growth. Some fruits are better than other such as blueberries versus apples. Citrus fruits are something to watch.

It is like people stuff. Research what has more nutrients than other things. Try to push veggies and foods rich in good stuff like sweet potatoes. My guys love those.

I give pellets daily in their bowl. Two nutriberries in the morning and at night.

Some type of veggie dish or a switch with grain bake.

A few times a month I will do a junk food dinner instead of veggies with popcorn, apples and carrots. Popcorn night.

Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition Public Group | Facebook

Foods Toxic To Pet Birds – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Treats can be anything that your bird likes and doesn't get as part of it's main diet! Some things I do for treats:

Sweet potato fries
Bird bread
Fruit
Freeze dried fruit and veggies
Popcorn
Bird treats from places like Avian Organics, Unapproved Vendor's Dailies, Texas Freeze Dried Naturals, Christine's Chop Shop.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We've only had our conure for a few days, but I've got him to take sunflower seeds, grapes, and bananas from my hands, which is great considering he is very shy around hands still.

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
Oh boy the peanut allergy thing nixes nutriberries. Are you allergic to the point you can't handle peanuts at all?
I can't eat peanuts but having them in the same room as me won't do me any harm! The chunks in Nutriberries are quite small anyway.

We've only had our conure for a few days, but I've got him to take sunflower seeds, grapes, and bananas from my hands, which is great considering he is very shy around hands still.
Congrats on your new Conure!
I was going to give fruit as part of the daily diet but I'm going to keep it as a treat now!

Last edited: