• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats...

sylven

Meeting neighbors
What do you use for treats while training you're gc? im at a loss here, she seems to get everything anyway o_O

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunflower seeds? A piece of almond or cashew? A cheerio type cereal? (But not an actual cheerio- too high in iron. But they make organic cereal like cheerios with much lower iron levels or no iron).

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Safflower and sunflower seeds are a favorite here. Also little bits of millet!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is the diet like?

I use safflower, pumpkin, millet mostly, but my birds get very little seed in their normal food dish

sylven

Meeting neighbors
What is the diet like?

I use safflower, pumpkin, millet mostly, but my birds get very little seed in their normal food dish
shes still young, was fed on seed (cockatiel mix diet from the breeder) trying to get her on kayte pellets, getting there :)

DJR

Meeting neighbors
Well.. If I pretend to eat a pellet, she will accept the pellet as a treat lol. But if that does not work, papaya, goji berries, sunflower seeds only when she just is not interested in my commands.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use raspberries as a bribe. She loves them. It was the first real food she ate as she stopped getting hand fed, so they are a favorite. If I approach it right, I can get her to do almost anything, but once she gets the whole berry from me, it's over. I'm no longer important.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Kylo accepts millet or very fine chopped apple bits. I actually haven't tried the other suggestions, good ideas!

sylven

Meeting neighbors
What is the diet like?

like i said she is a young bird, her diet is seed ( cockatiel mix like i said earlier, what the breeder has had her on), she has a twin tray in the cage, so one side is seed, the other is fruit( melon.pineapple,apple,grapes, mango) i went out & bought some food cups to put the kaytee in , i am reducing her seed weekly (just by just a bit) & tbh, she is eating the kaytee pellets now & fruit, only goes to the seed as a last resort, just bought some pumpkin /hulled sunflower seeds today , see how it goes i suppose :) just in case you lot dont know what kaytee is , i know there are a lot of non uk members its this;)

Last edited: