• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats advice please

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I decided to give up on crackers for Edgar (Edgar gets only crumps and seldom but still, it is not healthy for him), so I have only sunflower seeds for rewarding him during training and for not biting my fingers off. I wanted to have variety of treats, because I've read it is more motivating to the bird. The problem is that Edgar doesn't like:
almonds,
walnuts
hazelnuts
macadamia nuts
pumpkin seeds
freez dried fruits
some nuts that look like kidneys (I don't know the name in English, sorry)
some very small nuts (don't even remember the name in Polish)
any other seeds than sunflower
fruits and veggies (not enough to make a treat out of them)
birdie bread (I don't know why, he liked it before, but now he doesn't want to eat it. I cannot recreate the recipe from before because I was creating it while making)
Edit: Just remembered he doesn't like millet as well.

Till today I thought he liked pomegranate but today he refused to eat it after only two seeds. He didn't get pomegranate for a while now so I thought he will be happy. By the way I didn't realize that it is possible to create such mess with only two seeds.
I'm currently drying some pomegranate seeds in the oven (don't want to see the electricity bill later), and I'm hoping he will like those.

So my ideas are:
nutriberies (but I will order them in a little while, because I want to order it together with pellets)
seeds from bell pepper (are they safe for parrots?). Edgar never got them before.
and... well... that would be it.

Any other ideas for treats?

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
some nuts that look like kidneys (I don't know the name in English, sorry)
some very small nuts (don't even remember the name in Polish)
Are these the "kidney" shaped ones? These are cashews.

The "small nuts" might be pine nuts. The outer shells on these are tough.

Yes, pepper seeds are ok to give if he likes them. Rupert likes chili pepper seeds especially. Have you tried safflower seeds? They're a little similar to sunflower seeds, but are a little less fattening.

Safflower seeds look like this:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Are these the "kidney" shaped ones? These are cashews.
Yes! I meant those. Thank you.
The "small nuts" might be pine nuts. The outer shells on these are tough.
You are reading my mind. That was exactly it.:) I bought them without shells.
Safflower seeds never tried before. Thanks a lot for the picture. Thanks to this I will be sure I get the right thing.
Tomorrow I'll try with pepper seeds. I have bell pepper at home but I will buy chili pepper as well.
Thank you very much.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatoo loves to pick the seeds out of peppers. He's actually pretty good about eating the pepper too. Have you tried apples? And nutriberries are a good idea. :)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@sunnysmom I did try apples. Edgar likes them sometimes and sometimes not. Not enough to become treat. Sunflower and those crackers he likes very much. Always. The rest of the foods depending on his mood. I think I will make the order earlier than planned and get nutriberries.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@sunnysmom I did try apples. Edgar likes them sometimes and sometimes not. Not enough to become treat. Sunflower and those crackers he likes very much. Always. The rest of the foods depending on his mood. I think I will make the order earlier than planned and get nutriberries.
I know nutriberries have safflower seeds in them, so you may not even have to buy those separate just yet. I would just pick a couple off of the nutriberry and see if he likes them.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Update: @Peachfaced thank you very much for safflower suggestion. Edgar likes it very much. Sunflower is still his number one but safflower goes right after it.
It suprised me that Edgar doesn't like nutriberies. Fortunately I bought avicakes as well and he likes them enough (not as much as sunflower seeds and safflower, but it's ok as a reward).
I also thought about giving him sunflower in the shell and sunflower without the shell so Edgar never knows what to expect. It will be more interesting to train for him.