• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treat Suggestions?

Jeff Sexton

Moving in
Real Name
Jeff Sexton
What are some good treat ideas for an African Grey?

I like to keep the variety up in treats for training, and just to give occasionally. Nutraberries, in some flavors have been a hit. I've used walnuts for training, but they seem to be losing their appeal. I've also made a few different "cookie" type things of my own that have worked well.

Wondering about the array of commercial products out there... What do others offer their greys?

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I don't have a Gray, but my MP, Beaks, will do anything for those little papaya pieces. Yes, they are sugary, but he LOVES them. I mix those and millet, and nut pieces. They're all fav's.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My Maxis loves walnuts but for trick training we are using sunflower kernels and hemp seed. They both have a perfect size.
Hemp seed is also very healthy and they do love it. And if they eat hemp seed you should not give them flax seed oil the same day, both contains Omega.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Both Scooter the CAG and Ralph the QP like popcorn a lot-- plain air-popped popcorn, with no butter, oil or salt. Two commercial treats they both like are the egg biscuits for birds (several different brands are available) and KayTee yogurt-dipped papaya.