• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling with an Umbrella Cockatoo

Ladypulver

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dawn
Hello
Was wondering if anyone ever traveled with their Umbrella Cockatoo RVing? We have a 18 year old cockatoo named Cameron. We just retired and plan on doing some traveling in our RV. I would love to take Cameron’s with us if it is safe enough for her! Need advice and guidance on traveling with her.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would say it is possible, but it will depend on Cameron. I would start slow by taking Cameron into the caravan at your home and just spend time in there. Make it part of the fun of Cameron's day. Only after Cameron understands the space would I start increasing time, and eventually would try an overnight.

I don't know Cameron as you do. I base my opinion on knowing how a stressed cockatoo can turn to self harm. Slow and steady is always the way.

I also encourage you to map out all your stops ahead of time. There may be restrictions about bringing companion animals or exotic birds to nature reserves etc. In this exercise you could also consider where avian vets are located in case you need avian medical care whilst on the road.

Anything is possible but we humans should recognise when it isn't a good idea for an individual bird. Some birds have great fun adventuring with their humans. Keep in mind also that each new location also risks Cameron getting lost. If Cameron flew off near your home there may be familiar things around to help get them home. On the road a single fright flight could make it impossible to find Cameron.