• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel play stand

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good light weight travel play stand for a macaw. I don't really want to use pvc, as it tends to come apart to easy. We are carrying our macaw on vacation in October and need something he can hang out on that has some food dishes and room for toys. Thanks. Any input is appreciated.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm posting so I can stay updated. Curious if there is such a thing.

I do know that I've seen a tripod camera stand modified with a perch on it instead of a camera.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah I'm curious too

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am posting so I can find out if such a thing is out there, I would like something similar. I have a feeling I will end up making one somehow.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Icey, I saw those four, but the tripod had really bad reviews and the mango stand I couldn't actually find for sale anymore. I do like that last one though that folds up. Macawnutz the only thing I have against pvc, is my boy seems to manage to pull the pieces apart. I'm going to be there for two weeks, so I don't really want the really tiny ones, as he needs a place he can move about a bit more. Icey, where did you find that last one? I've never seen one like it, but it looks like what I am hunting.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Found it Icey, but it is no longer available. It would have been perfect though.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
PerchFactory.com
They have quite a few that aren't too pricey.

The stainless one is from China, so not sure how long until you travel as to whether you would get it in time or not. It's under Yeudi Pet Cages and takes you to their website and it costs I believe 240 dollars.

Last edited:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
It's hard to find portable lightweight ones, unless like @Macawnutz said, you get a PVC one.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put a link to the Mango stands in my post...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How long of a stay is it? Buzzard's regular playstand is just a $50 double garment rack from Walmart wrapped in vet tape. They're fairly heavy, but the 4 legs makes it really sturdy. It's not super easy to break down, but it can be done. I put the top shelf in the middle for stability, turn the curve of the bars inward & attach a large rope perch to the 2... toy hooks(?) that are included. You can put papers on the shelf to catch poo and Zeus' travel cage might even fit on the bottom shelf so it's out of the way.
0719171746-1-1.jpg

Or just pick up a single garment rack & a few rolls of wrap from the pharmacy section if you need something lighter. After our false alarm fire drill at our apartments a couple weeks ago, I decided this is what I would buy again to use at my mother's house if we ever had to evacuate.

I don't have food bowls on it since it's right next to his cage, but you could screw those 20 oz lixit bowls to the "toy hangers" if you turn the plates vertically.

Last edited:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That is pretty cool faislaq. I might actually use that at home. I'm needing several stands at this point for home. I might just pick one up when I get there and put it together and then bring it home with me.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That particular one is Better Homes & Gardens & looks like it is discontinued, but there are others that would work just as well. just keep an eye out for a spot to attach the bowls. :) That seems like the least common feature. As long as they're not chrome, just about any of them should work.

And if you want them for home use, I like that this one has really great wheels & can fit through our doors (even with the frisbees I've added to the corners). I love being able to wheel mine through the house so Buzzy can "help" me put away laundry :rolleyes: or I can wheel him over to the window in any room. I can't wait to see what you come up with & how you configure them. Buzzards keeps evolving & has a 2" pvc perch across one short end.