• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel cages/ carriers. what do you use when you take your birds to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
what do you use when you take your birds to the vet or outside or if there is a reason to leave the house quickly in? i have my eye on some wire travel cages. I have also seen acrylic but they are very pricey. I am in need of 4 travel cages. I need 2 for my caiques, 1 for my Hahns, and 1 for my sun conure. I have some older plastic travel cages from Petco but i want ones that don't have broken plastic pieces:rolleyes:. Price for the items as well as shipping is an issue so it would be nice to order from the same place. I feel uneasy aquiring a used carrier for travel so i decided on new. If i can get enough like new really cheap cat carriers i might add perches for comfort but that's if i cant find what im looking for. I love pictures and links to help me decide. Thanks all!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I use a Hamster cage for mine. I got it on clearance for $5. I also have some smaller bird cages.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
The bar spacing for the dog carriers is too large. as it is all my dog crates are in use at moment and the only plastic cat carriers i have smell like...cats:lol:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I use a Hamster cage for mine. I got it on clearance for $5. I also have some smaller bird cages.
I use a hamster cage too. Although I also have one of those come along carriers when I need to take all the birds. I use to transport my ferret in it though so the inside is a bit torn up LOL. I disinfected it and whatnot for my birds though.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I use cat carrier for the Pois and one of those "take me home" carriers linked to above for Piper.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I use wooden carry boxes to take my birds to the vet, but my birds are only small/medium. I do see many people use cat or dog carriers for medium to large birds. :)

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I use wooden carry boxes to take my birds to the vet, but my birds are only small/medium. I do see many people use cat or dog carriers for medium to large birds. :)
I use wooden carry boxes too. Nice and secure for my needs but I also have small birds.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I dislike the acrylic ones because there just is not enough air flow with the holes and you have one medium to well done bird without the basting. Isn't poultry done cooking at 180? :cool1:

The one that azcowgirl posted at least has a grill on the front and back.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
MSBS carries an 18"x12" collapsable cage. They're $40 and can double as a travel cage. I was going to go with that until I found the carrier I use.

I dislike the acrylic ones because there just is not enough air flow with the holes and you have one medium to well done bird without the basting. Isn't poultry done cooking at 180? :cool1:

The one that azcowgirl posted at least has a grill on the front and back.
That's not necessarily true. I have acrylic carriers and they have very good ventilation. My bird can even climb on the sides. osCommerce I agree that there are a lot of poorly designed ones though.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have the folding ones from MSBS (summer outside time and sometimes to the vet if only one or two birds go) and the kennel carriers for winter or if multiples need vetting. I bolted two together-one on top of each other so I can carry almost all the birds at once. I'm thinking of getting the next size down so I can stack three and that would allow me to carry all of them in one carry.

pictures of how I bolted them: http://forums.avianavenue.com/diy-drive/71669-kinda-lazy-but-i-did-make-modify-few-things.html

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I use cat carrier for the Pois and one of those "take me home" carriers linked to above for Piper.
I use cat carriers as well.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have a cat carrier for Jasper and for Marshall and Josie I have a medium King's carrier.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I have 3 of the collapsible carriers Kathie sells, they come in 2 sizes and I have the smaller ones for my conures. I use them to bring the conures outside and to the vet and they work great.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I use a small dog carrier for Tico, a small cat carrier for Juni, and mini keet cages for the smaller birds.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I use a small celltei pak-o-bird the most. It's Zena's, but Judy uses it a lot also. I have cages similar to this Petco Designer Green Dome Playtop Parrot Cage at PETCO that they sometimes ride in, but usually I pack them in our suitcase and use them for overnight trips. Korbin Dallas rides in a Petco Classic Kennel - Portable Dog Kennels and Dog Carrier from petco.com and never stays overnight. I also have a Airline Approved Kennel Cab Bird Carrier - CARRIERS & TRAVEL by Bird Paradise because I got it cheap. I haven't used it yet. I took it to Florida just in case I couldn't take the pak-o-bird in the cabin, but the pak-o-bird was fine. Saturday Judy and Korbin Dallas have a vet appointment. Judy will ride in the pak-o-bird and Korbin Dallas will ride in his cat carrier.

I also have three cat carriers that I keep ready just for emergencies. They are kind of small, but ready to go. In the event of an emergency, Ashley may actually need her carrier. I'm a bit of a carrier hoarder. Irving has two carriers, one x-large that he uses in the house and one large that will fit better in the car in the event of emergency. For long trips like moving, Ashely goes with her litter box in the large carrier. I don't even want to consider how many portable cages/carriers I have for 5 animals. I think it's 10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.