• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traumatized by Crows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We've been having a lot of rain here, and today, the crows decided to pay a visit. There are 6 of them perched on top of a building across the street (in our line of sight) and Java is having a fit. He's clambering all over the cage and chirping, so I've closed the blinds and curtains but he can still hear them. How do I sate this fear? He won't sit still, and the crows look like they're going to be around for a while.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Java. That's gotta be spooky for him!

If you shut the window and play some music, would that drown out the sounds of the crows outside?
I have a pair of red-tails who live in my front yard (Scarecrow and Chainsaw :D) and when they get screechy I always put on the radio and shut the windows in the bird room so the fids can't hear them.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
When pigeons first started hanging out in Blu's line of sight by our window he was really scared too.
So what I did was mostly ignore his fear but also I started talking soft and sweet to the pigeons like they were our friends. Now he looks forward to their appearance. Not sure if that will help you but I think if they come around enough he can get used to them.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you shut the window and play some music, would that drown out the sounds of the crows outside?
I have since closed the curtains and the blinds but it sounds like they're wandering around the yard. I have YouTube playing, but Java's fixated on the "strangers" outside.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
also I started talking soft and sweet to the pigeons like they were our friends. Now he looks forward to their appearance.
What a neat, out-of-the-box idea! I'm glad it worked.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What about a white noise machine

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A white noise machine is very soothing, if he doesnt like it you use it, its great for sleeping. I use one, puts me to sleep every time

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A white noise machine is very soothing, if he doesnt like it you use it, its great for sleeping. I use one, puts me to sleep every time
I'll look into one. Thank you.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What a neat, out-of-the-box idea! I'm glad it worked.
Thanks! Nowadays I just say - Blu, wanna go say hi to the birds?

And he says - Da birdies? Come on! Come on birds! Then he starts preening and purring :xflove:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd would let me know when crows or hawks were outside by alarm calling and I'd thank him for being a good watch bird and keeping us safe. He usually didn't freak completely out he was just concerned they might hurt one of his flock. He WOULD freak out if one flew close to the window and duck and startle but that was rare. I like the idea of letting him see you talk to them and act like it's not a problem and they are friends. If he sees mama isn't concerned and actually likes them he'll probably calm down about them and look forward to seeing them and talking to them Then hopefully he'll react more like Dianes bird eventually.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nerd would let me know when crows or hawks were outside by alarm calling and I'd thank him for being a good watch bird and keeping us safe. He usually didn't freak completely out he was just concerned they might hurt one of his flock. He WOULD freak out if one flew close to the window and duck and startle but that was rare. I like the idea of letting him see you talk to them and act like it's not a problem and they are friends. If he sees mama isn't concerned and actually likes them he'll probably calm down about them and look forward to seeing them and talking to them Then hopefully he'll react more like Dianes bird eventually.
I'll give that a shot as well. I hate to see him so on edge about everything.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey gets spooked by the crows too.
I turn on the vacuum cleaner when they get too loud.
Joey starts whistling when he hears the vacuum cleaner.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, I like the crows & like to think "mine is still out there after 20 years. Penny does not seem tomind when I go out & the crows call...They make be my crows babies which she brought to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.