• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transporting macaw to Canada checklist help

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi guys,

There's about an 80% chance that I might be moving to Canada to pursue a very exciting job opportunity--it'd be a huge promotion and working with some awesome friends that I've known for many years. Hours would be the exact same as I work now.There's still a chance it won't happen(waiting on higher up approval), but just in case, I'm starting to prep and get paperwork/checklists collected. If everything is approved, I'd be moving in July and starting at the new job by August.

I'm 100000000000% committed to Jack and bringing him with me, that was never in question. I have started to look into the requirements for the Canadian/US border. I was going to call my avian vet in the next week or two to schedule a visit(Jack is due for his 6 month follow-up anyways) and also just get everything set in case the job does happen. I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience(especially with macaws since I feel like procedures might vary from bird to bird) and might be able to help me figure out a checklist so I can make sure I get the necessary paperwork signed/dated in time along with any necessary health tests for him. Thank you in advance!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It used to be a lot of red tape and a lot of (rational to them) reasons they can reject your application. Often crossing the border required your "animal" be quarantined in a facility for a period of time (sometimes months) during which you are not in control of the bird. It's also a very stressful situation.

I don't know what the procedure is these days. I hope it's improved.

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Updating this thread:

So Canada is really happening. Been calling and filling out everything that's required. There is quarantine, but it's entirely in my care. As soon as myself and Jack are settled into our new place/have made it over the border, I'll share information here. For anyone considering it, be prepared for lots and lots of paperwork.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Updating this thread:

So Canada is really happening. Been calling and filling out everything that's required. There is quarantine, but it's entirely in my care. As soon as myself and Jack are settled into our new place/have made it over the border, I'll share information here. For anyone considering it, be prepared for lots and lots of paperwork.

Yes please share. :)

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
It's a ton of paperwork indeed. I'd do just about anything to take mine back to the U.S. with me.

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Yeah lots of paperwork and time is needed at least for my specific situation of bringing Jack from the U.S. to Canada. Still in the U.S. waiting for the CITES permit...as soon as that finishes, then we'll be making the crossing since all the other paperwork/permits are ready. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Definitely give yourself 30-60 days minimum for everything to process.

Jack has a health certificate from his vet, a port exemption permit(because there's no designated port between the two), the *pending* CITES permit. And then his various records from the breeder. There's some additional forms(sorry can't remember them right now) that I'll be filling out at the border with the agent I'm meeting with. In our case, we're driving, and due to that had to avoid certain states where there's an avian influenza outbreak recognized by the Canadian authorities. So I'm also bringing every receipt from hotel to gas station to show we didn't enter those states, otherwise they won't admit him. At a future time, I'll include the different departments I called/emailed to get everything I needed. Not really one website that lists everything you need. Anyways, here's hoping everything works out in the next 2 weeks!

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
That's crazy. I can't believe they actually check the state you drive through. Avian influenza is the reason I can't get mine back. They flat out banned all of SE Asia. Good luck, and please keep us posted here. I'm fascinated by the process and bureaucracy of it all.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Wish I could help you with info, but I brought my 2 macaws from Canada to the UK just over 2 years ago.
Get in touch with CFIA and they can help you get a start on what you will need regarding CITES and everything.
Good luck!

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Wish I could help you with info, but I brought my 2 macaws from Canada to the UK just over 2 years ago.
Get in touch with CFIA and they can help you get a start on what you will need regarding CITES and everything.
Good luck!

Thank you! It's alright, no worries. I did call CFIA at the beginning, along with offices on both side of the respective borders.

Just got a phone call--Jack's CITES permit was approved! They're mailing it today and it'll be here tomorrow! :D

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
I looked into this as well when I thought we might be moving to Canada. It is a ton of paperwork!

Interestingly the goal of most of the paperwork looked like it was to ensure you were transporting a pet, as opposed to a chicken for commercial purposes.

Congrats on getting your paperwork in order so early! Should you move it should be much less stressful now :)

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
CITES permit is in my hand as of 5 min ago! Such a HUGE relief(last week they were telling me they might need another 20 days to process!) Just waiting for one bit of paperwork for myself(either today or Monday), but parrot is ready. Bags are packed and we plan on being in our new Canadian place this time next week. :dance5:

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Wow! I'm impressed that you are ready to move so quickly!

Congrats again on getting your paperwork! :D

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
So to follow-up, here's the checklist of paperwork I have for Jack. We're scheduled to cross the border later this week, so while I countdown, I wanted to post the list now since I'll be internetless for a bit while I settle into my new place. I highly recommend calling your local offices for the country you currently reside in and the offices of the place you would want to move to. This is just my situation of taking a macaw from Los Angeles to Eastern Canada--driving the whole way. I know airline travel has its own requirements too and countries all require a variety of different things. It's not all listed on one website unfortunately and phone calls are your best bet to finding out what you need.

I first started with calling the U.S. Branch of Permits office:
703-358-2104
(Who helped with CITES info, etc for the U.S. side of the paperwork.)

Because I was driving, I then located the nearest U.S. port and called them to find out what they required. Parrots need to be inspected on-site which requires an pre-scheduled in-person appointment when you reach the border port:
https://www.fws.gov/le/inspection-offices.html

From the U.S. side of the logistics, they needed Jack to have a CITES export permit, a designated port exemption permit, and then a declaration form for the export of fish or wildlife(which I have, but will be filling out at the appointment with the inspector).

Then I started calling the Canadian offices to find out their requirements. Starting with this site:
Environment and Climate Change Canada - Nature - Contact Us

I explained what I was doing and they provided me with info specific to my situation and any additional numbers I needed to call, etc.

U.S. parrots entering Canada require a 90 day quarantine, it is entirely in the owner's care though. On border-crossing day, I've been told that I'll be signing a declaration that Jack has not been in any contact with other birds and has been in my possession for those 90 days leading up to his crossing. Canadian officials require the Appendix II classified bird has an CITES export permit from the country the bird is coming from, a health certificate, and then that declaration I mentioned earlier(which is provided at the border).

In the end, I have the following paperwork:

CITES export permit from the country the bird is coming from(but only if the parrot is listed in the II appendix, which Jack/macaws are. You'll need to call the Canadian CITES office to verify, if the parrot is listed under Appendix I, then they'll also need an Import permit for the country they are going too ontop of the export permit.)

USDA Health Certificate. There's a new bird-specific health certificate that needs to be signed by a USDA Vet along with an accredited vet.
You can find the contact info here for each state's office:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/downloads/nies_contacts/sc.pdf
Here's a link to the U.S. to Canada specific health certificate for birds:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/health-certificates/non-eu/canada-bird.pdf

Designated Port exemption permit. This is because there are apparently no designated ports to drive a bird from the U.S. to Canada. I learned this from calling the specific U.S. port I'll be driving thru.

Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, because I was driving cross-country, Canadian officials alerted me that I had to avoid any contact with certain states flagged with the Avian Influenza outbreak. So at this time, it's Tennessee and Alabama. They didn't have an official way to check, but highly recommended that I keep all travel receipts just to show Jack never came in contact in any capacity with those areas.

Jack had a full vet-checkup before our departure, I've included receipts from the breeder to prove he's mine and captive born in the states, vet receipts, etc just to ensure it's clear that he is a personal pet and I have zero intention of selling him or any other business other than being my companion. I have a binder that's a few inches thick, it's for everything involving my move, but most of it is just for Jack. To anyone considering an international move with their parrot(s)---give yourself double the time you think you might need. Most of these permits take anywhere from 20-60 days to complete/return to you. I've been double and triple checking that I have everything and I still found a few gaps(like the new bird specific health certificate. I initially had an older certificate until I checked with an official over the phone and they flagged it.)

I hope this helps shed a little more light on the process involved. I cross later this week and will update as soon as I can on how it all goes. Continuing to hope for the best--going to sleep so much better once this is all over and my pet crew and myself are safely across.

Last edited:

SeverelySweet

Buh-bye LA, hello smog-free life! I'm soooo jealous right now!

I'm so happy and excited for you and Jack! What a great adventure!