• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training your parrot to fly downward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How would I start to show Mabel how to do this?

She can fly straight, UP, she can even turn and land where she wants to land. She doesn't crash and never has. She has figured to do all of this by herself. I'm very proud of her because I really wasn't sure she'd ever learn how to fly.:heart:

After she flies up and lands on Emma's cage she screams her head off begging or someone to bring her down because she doesn't know how to fly down.

Any ideas on what I can do to help?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Have you tried recall flight training with her at all? I do this with Lola and after we got the basics-- fly to my hand-- then I began working with levels. It's a lot easier at my parents' because they have an open ceiling (double height) in their living room with a balcony so I will put her up there, go downstairs, and have her fly down to me for a treat. It is one of those things that I'm hoping never to have to test her on outdoors but goodness forbid I should lose her one day, I am sure it will be a very good skill for her to have.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I think that if you wanted to skip the recall flight training part, maybe an easy way to do it would be to make sure she is on a flyer or something she can't climb down from-- and put a treat on the floor where she can see it and try to get her to fly down to get it?

Chicklet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jamie
I do the same as Coco, I have done lots of recall training with Briar and just starting with Rista. I started slow, just by lowering my hand, then crouched on the ground, then kneeling and finally he'll fly to me when I place him on a tall perch or the top of his cage, to me lying on the floor :p I don't have the luxury of high ceilings or a staircase to use (I live in a bungalow :)

Lokums

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mike
Stand on a ladder, and just let her go to either stand/playgym with yums on it, or someone that she likes on the other end. I have in the past let my B&G go at the top of the stairs and he flies down into the living room onto his stand.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.