• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training treat recipe masterpost

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I don't think I've seen a masterpost for treats on here, so I thought maybe a few people could share recipes?

I'm personally looking for some sunflower related bird treats, or maybe even yogurt covered sunflower seeds, if anyone knows any recipes for this.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Honestly just straight safflower is what worked with me. The issue with making a cookie, bar, or dipped treat is that it cannot be eaten quickly. For rewarding a bird as you are training you want them to finish the treat quickly so you can repeat the desired behavior. If the bird takes his time eating, then you have a wider gap between cueing behaviors and rewarding again. Essentially increasing the training time with less work and the bird would get bored. Now I am sure there are those that disagree but with training animals across the board you want quick rewards.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yogurt flavored treats are bad for parrots they are lactose intolerant ....so just plain ol sunflower seeds ...tree nuts in lil pieces are great :)