• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

training/taming a flighted parrot.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
My IRN, Dora, will avoid my hand at all costs. She isn't scared of my hand, she just doesn't like it. Unless 1)there's food or 2) she flew somewhere else and can't get back to her cage without stepping up on my hand. I've tried multiple training methods and she simply doesn't react to target training, and I'm afraid I'll have start over if I use a clicker. My dad suggests (since she steps up onto my hand without any signs of fear when there's food) is to lure her onto my hand. And then lightly place my thumb on her feet to stop her from flying, not too tightly that she can't fly even if she tried, just enough so that she's discouraged. Then take a walk with her and give her treats if she is willing to eat on my hand, then put her back on the cage and feed her a ton of treats. Is this a good idea? Or is this just gonna diminish all the trust we've built up so far.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Step up training should look something like this....

1. Reward your bird for looking at you.
  2. Reward your bird for moving his head towards you.
  3. Reward your bird for taking a step towards you.
  4. Reward your bird for taking another step towards you.
  5. If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
  6. Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
  7. Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
  8. Reward your bird for touching you with his toe(s).
  9. Reward your bird for putting a foot on you.
  10. *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for putting both feet on you!

I do not recommend holding your IRN's feet and forcing her to stay with you as this may only increase her anxiety about being on hands, thus making her more afraid of being there.

Target training is the exact same thing as stepping up, but instead of feet, you are going for a beak reach. A bird does not need to physically touch a target in order to be target trained.

Instead of giving her a ton of treats in her cage (you are only rewarding her for going back into the cage, not stepping up), it's better to give a ton of treats when she does step up. Don't walk around anywhere, just reward her for staying put. Then, you can work up to moving and rewarding her for staying put.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
after a few training sessions, I've seen a lot of progress... BUT being the impatient person I am, I accidentally said "good girl" a little too early so now she thinks she has to bite me to get a treat.:mad2:
It's an easy fix tho.:)

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Unless you bird is comfortable with you touching her feet, I don’t suggest it. It’s a good way to get bit. Ouch!! And she will only be more fearful.