1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training/taming a bonded pair

Discussion in 'Linnie Landing' started by Leih, 2/9/19.

1. Leih

Leih Strolling the yard

Alicia Pearson
    Hi everyone! I have two male linnies, they'll both be 1 next month and they're only a few days difference in age. I have questions about taming/training them. They are not siblings but they have been together since they hatched and since they preen each other and feed each other and are usually always next to each other I assume they're bonded.

Caspar has become Territorial. He'll allow me to move things in the cage or give him treats but he gets annoyed with me quickly. Then, he will scream and charge at me. The other, Emrys, is the exact opposite. He's scared of me, although he used to be less so when Caspar was less aggressive.

I get the impression that they've set up house together and I'm invading their home. With them being like this I have had very little opportunity to work on taming them. I let them out of their cage for awhile, but when it's time to go back in Emrys is terrified and Caspar stands in defiance. It's usually anxiety inducing for all three of us and I hesitate to let them out.

Is there any way I can work on a relationship with them? I've tried step up with a treat with Caspar, but he gets mad and food blind and charges me. Emrys won't even come near a perch I'm holding. I'm hoping Caspar grows out of his attitude, but he seems to be clearly defending his family.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated! I feel bad that they don't get as much interaction with me because of this but I'm just at a loss how to change anything!

I'd like to cross post this into the training page but I don't know how!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 2/9/19
  2. BlueDoraBarry

BlueDoraBarry Strolling the yard

Barry
    I'd start by getting Emrys to be comfortable around you. That will probably relax Casper a bit. They could also just be hormonal. I don't think it's possible to cooperate with them like this.

Leih likes this.
  3. Leih

Leih Strolling the yard

Alicia Pearson
    Yeah that is probably the best plan of action. I was originally thinking of working with Caspar first and then Emrys would copy. But I think you're right about Emrys first

BlueDoraBarry likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)