• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training multiple Galahs

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks Jen :) good on you for teaching them these tricks its adorable and i think everyone gets a kick out of it haha. if you haven't tried already, i strongly suggest clicker training. once they pick up on it you can teach them almost anything. with my previous cockatoo, he flew away from being startled by a loud sound. he learned to spread his wings on cue, kisses, turn around, flip, shake finger, shake head no, nod, wave and say hello together and also to speak on cue and flight retreat, all with clicker training (combining that with target training) using positive reinforcement and he caught on usually within the same day consisting of 3 sessions and i would keep that same trick for around 4 days until he got the hang of it.

Maybe you can try showing him the treat then hiding it or show just the tip until you can hold your fingers together pretending you've got something and then reward after he does the trick.
Clicker training is how I got Tuchis TAG to do the tricks he knows. We've done a little bit of training with our Serama chickens too, but I just find myself to be a horrible trainer...like I said, it took me a year to get Tuchis to turn around in a circle! I also tried to teach him to let go of a ball on cue...that went no where! I might have been working with the wrong parrot because of all of our birds, he's the most head strong!

Right now, I'm just really, really busy because we have a huge flock and a toy business on top of full time jobs and we're trying to get some properties ready to sell. Sometimes I wonder if I even have a life! LOL!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You keep mentioning training. What do you want to train? Do you want to train "tricks" or do you want to teach them to live in some kind of harmony in your home. The latter is just a matter of having routines and being consistent. If they know what's coming and when it's coming that relieves anxiety and removes stress from the situation.

Would I be able to train you if you don't trust me? You have to "earn" that privilege.

When two cockatoos get together the posturing on top of the cage could mean anything from angry/scared to happy. Its during those times you need to be wary because they have a knack of losing their mind for a second when they work each other up.
Not bad advice! You never know what's going through their little birdie brains, especially when they're in pairs! I still think you're moving in the right direction. I know that my two would not take treats out of my hands at this point! Gaining their trust is probably your biggest goal at this point though and I think you're definitely headed in the right direction!

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Wow looks like you've got alot going on, good on you :) and best of luck

When i say training it also means bonding, because training is a great tool to gain trust through activities along side chilling out with them.
that is super true, they do get each other worked up at times

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow looks like you've got alot going on, good on you :) and best of luck

When i say training it also means bonding, because training is a great tool to gain trust through activities along side chilling out with them.
that is super true, they do get each other worked up at times
Rosies are funny birds...from my experience, they're super vigilant. Every little sound really makes them look around, so you have to be cognizant of that. Also, another thing I've learned from living with five of them is that when we raise our voices, that really gets them excited too...super excited! My S/O and I can argue a lot or even get passionate about things like what's going on at work or politics and boy, when we talk animatedly, it gets all of them going too! So, take that into consideration with them. They aren't like other Cockatoos that I've known!:)

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
you're right, any fast movement does indeed startles them will definitely keep that in mind, i have 2 younger siblings that constantly want to play with them but before stepping in the room i tell them sshhhh gently lol
They are super talkative from when they wake up, non stop haha and during target training they get loud as they compete, will also keep that in mind
thanks for that :)

atalanta

Meeting neighbors
Love and peace to all beings.

Reference Library | World Parrot Trust

Ask an Expert | World Parrot Trust

Parrot Wizard - YouTube

8.FREE! Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots
Visit this link to access the webinar Webinar Recording: Training Rescued and/or Re-Homed Parrots | InstantPresenter Web Conferencing, Video Conferencing and Webinar Service

Whether you work in a rescue or sanctuary, foster parrots or have adopted a parrot into your home it is sometimes difficult to break through or overcome behavior problems with a parrot with an unfortunate or unknown history. This webinar will provide guidance for those working with some of the more challenging behavioral cases in the avian community.This webinar was recorded on June 25, 2015. Total run time is 1 hour and 50 minutes. You can log in and out as much as you want to watch at your convenience or repeatedly.

This webinar is FREE! However I ask if you watch this webinar that you consider saying “Thank You” by offering to pay what you can. The amount is up to you! (The webinar normally sells for $19.95.) Your contribution will help make it possible for this item to continue to remain free for those who can’t afford it. If the generosity of others has helped make this a wonderful opportunity for you, you can help pay it forward by helping spread the word about this resource on social media, chat groups, etc. If parrot people come through with their support, maybe this can offer be extended to other resources. I sure hope so! To contribute, click on this link. The donation starts at $1. If you would like to increase this amount change the number in the box under “Qty” then click on the words “update quantity” and proceed to checkout..
Visit this link to access the webinar Webinar Recording: Training Rescued and/or Re-Homed Parrots | InstantPresenter Web Conferencing, Video Conferencing and Webinar Service

Dr. Ellen Cooke

Attachments

Last edited:

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
thanks heaps for this link, so much useful info :)