• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training finally

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
My clickers just arrived, so I'm planning to start target training tomorrow! I'd really like to work with both my lovie and RB2 before moving on to my conure. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it by the time Penny is home. I'm open to any and all tips and suggestions. None of these guys seem to have a favorite treat, and praise won't work on the lovie, so help there is appreciated. IMG_20180712_191706.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@BirdGuy21 is really good with target training. Perhaps he has some advice for you. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Using a clicker is all about timing. Your bird has to associate the click of the clicker with a reward. Start out familiarizing your bird with the sound of the clicker. Do several, short training sessions where you just click the clicker and immediately reward the bird with their preferred treat. This ideally should be done within one second or so, no more. The bird needs to have the association of click=treat. Next I recommend getting a chop stick or some kind of small "stick", this becomes the target stick. The goal is to get your bird to lightly touch the end of the target stick with its beak- when it does that you immediately click and reward with their preferred reinforcer. After your bird becomes comfortable with this you can slowly start to move the target stick further away, making your bird have to walk to get to it. Do these small approximations until your bird is comfortable and reliably will target the stick. :)