• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training experience

Katrina16

Meeting neighbors
Hello!
I would like to know your guys experience with training these little birds.
(I know this short, but I don't know what else to say:D).

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Flock talk is an awesome channel. Parrotlets are very smart. I taught Milo to spin around with her directions. I haven’t felt like teaching them to do anything else. :D

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I haven't tried to train Twitter to anything more than respecting the house rules, and I have had plenty to do with just that, but now I have been forced to cut him from the budgies and I am afraid he would get bored/lonely so I wondered if we should try and teach him some tricks just for the sake of entertaining him.
He is 1.5 year old now, is it too late to teach him tricks?

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I haven't tried to train Twitter to anything more than respecting the house rules, and I have had plenty to do with just that, but now I have been forced to cut him from the budgies and I am afraid he would get bored/lonely so I wondered if we should try and teach him some tricks just for the sake of entertaining him.
He is 1.5 year old now, is it too late to teach him tricks?

It's never too late, it's just a matter of finding what motivates the bird you have.

Some legitimately would rather not train. I have handled a few parrots that while they were receptive to training and even took to target and stick training would much rather have been left alone to be a bird on their tree perches than spent the time doing that kind of work with me.
I feel with time though and positive interaction, even those birds would really prefer the challenge of training. It is a social interaction and a means of mental stimulation.

It's like foraging or puzzles. I think all parrots would enjoy doing them and having that stimulation; but you have to teach them how to do it and partly to enjoy doing it or they just won't.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think both he and I have been lazy, satisfied to just having him tame enough to have some fun and cuddle but not to the point where he would depend on me for his entertainment. With 2 kids, a day at work and 2 other birds (not tame but distracting), finding the time and energy to train every day has been a challenge. Plus, I discovered I am not as patient as I thought I was, I'd rather have thing done yesterday and raining is not working that way.
Do you have any advice about what we could begin with? Some easy and funny trick for beginners? (step-up is NOT funny)

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I think both he and I have been lazy, satisfied to just having him tame enough to have some fun and cuddle but not to the point where he would depend on me for his entertainment. With 2 kids, a day at work and 2 other birds (not tame but distracting), finding the time and energy to train every day has been a challenge. Plus, I discovered I am not as patient as I thought I was, I'd rather have thing done yesterday and raining is not working that way.
Do you have any advice about what we could begin with? Some easy and funny trick for beginners? (step-up is NOT funny)

What is easiest to train usually depends on what the bird is willing to do. For instance a lot of people love teaching "wings"/"big eagle" but that requires touching the sides of the bird and physically pushing the wings upward and you need quite a bit of trust for a bird to allow it.

What might be good are teaching the useful things you may need to know for general care: stick training, syringe feeding, station training (for taking weight among other things)
I really enjoy target training and recall as first tricks.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
target and recall? Like send him flying to some place and back to me? I think he could actually do that. The bad eagle I really don't think so. What is stick training?

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
target and recall? Like send him flying to some place and back to me? I think he could actually do that. The bad eagle I really don't think so. What is stick training?

Target - Teaching the bird to follow a point, usually the tip of a specific stick. This is a great way to start a base to teach any movement action like spin or 'place' tricks.

Recall - Teaching the bird to come to you. It can be walking, I taught my budgie to run to my hand.

Stick training - You get a stick with a perch on the end and teach your bird to step up on it. This will save you in hormonal or just stubborn moments when you need to move the bird but don't want to forcefully hold and move it. You train it to step up on the stick and then you can place it back in the cage or something without risking a bite or having the bird fly away. It's great to also practice putting the bird in the cage as part of this.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
wow, I see we have much to learn :) We already have a kind of stick training. Except that he climbs on my finger and if he doesn't want to he would fly away but I don't let it go and he gives up at the end so he ends up where I want to.
Target and recall are definitely good starts for us. I think we'll take those up when we have moved to our new home, I'll be too busy until then with packing and renovating, but in the Spring it could be a nice thing to do. Thanks for your advices, I'll certainly ask for some more when we start training! :dance4:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I had my parrotlet for 3 years, she could spin around and recall. That was about it. The only thing she really ever wanted to do was to spend time with me. She was flighted, and spend most of the time out of her cage, playing with her toys or on me. I would roll up toilet paper balls and she would go after them and play with them, but that was about it. I just loved her to pieces. When I moved to Maui, I couldnt bring her. They are one of the bird species that are not welcome here. Broke my heart, still.