• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training causing aggression?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
When I first trained my cockatiel To target, she also bit the stick. I got her out of it by clicking just before she bit on the stick and moving the stick away just before she would bite it, then rewarding. Just had to use a little prediction. In a few days of doing this I would test to see if she bit the stick, and if she did, I wouldn't click or reward. She caught on pretty quick then that biting meant no reward.

I agree if your bird is acting like this because it's near it's cage, try further away.

I also agree to try working on getting him to just take the treats nicely first. Someone had some good suggestions on that!

Some other good beginner tricks are come to me for the treat, step up, wave, turn.

Is your bird clicker trained? I would first suggest clicker training, clicking when ever your bird comes to eat a treat from you for a couple of days. I hold the clicker and the treat in the same hand, and stick in the other. Good luck :)

Last edited: