• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training advice?

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
i have a female lutino cockatiel, she's pretty tame I bring her out of her cage everyday to spend time with the family. She knows how to high five but I would like to teach her to fly to me. I NEVER force anything. I have a chair that she likes to sit on top of and I train her on there. I plan on getting a training stand I don't know if this is a mistake. I put her on the chair in a quite room and I try to put millet in back of my hand and say "come" but she isn't interested in the millet at all and ignores me. She knows how to step up really well. She only likes millet and nothing else as treats. If I'm doing something wrong don't judge me it's my first bird and I'm trying my best :)

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
If she likes millet use it only as a reward for doing something you want her to do and no other times for now. Start very small and obvious like 3 inches away and let her know that when you hold your hand or arm a certain way and say a certain word that millet is available only if she comes to get it. Make small adjustments to the distance and repeat often as long as she is still interested. It took me 1 afternoon to train 1 of my girls this way. But she is a millet pig and will do anything for millet.!! The reward must be worth the effort and she must be confident she will get her reward if she puts in the effort. Repetition. Repetition Repetition. You will get there.

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
If she likes millet use it only as a reward for doing something you want her to do and no other times for now. Start very small and obvious like 3 inches away and let her know that when you hold your hand or arm a certain way and say a certain word that millet is available only if she comes to get it. Make small adjustments to the distance and repeat often as long as she is still interested. It took me 1 afternoon to train 1 of my girls this way. But she is a millet pig and will do anything for millet.!! The reward must be worth the effort and she must be confident she will get her reward if she puts in the effort. Repetition. Repetition Repetition. You will get there.
thanks for the help!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm trying to teach one of my birds this, and he also is not that interested. I know my problem is that he's not that hungry when it's convenient for me to train him. You might want to try at a different time of day.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Start with a step up. Then a step up with a stretch. Step up with a hop. Eventually, a step up with a hop and a flap.

If she doesn't do the behavior, you are asking too much too soon. Ask for less that she can achieve before going onto the next step.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I would also give her a quick training session before meal times. whatever you use has a training treat shouldn't be a part of her diet.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Is it possible to poop train cockatiels? if yes ,how? any suggestions