• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training a smart parrot to use a transporting stick.....

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My guys have been using one for years but I remember we had a few times of "eat the stick".... see the current condition of mine?

20170901_201805.jpg

I found someone that would make transporter sticks (I begged him).

So @Macawnutz and anyone that uses a stick. How do you train to step up on a stick?

This info will be invaluable ... and I'd like to share with him also.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The same way you would teach step up with your hand. :)

Every bird should be able to use a stick whether you need it or not. In my home, if I pull out a stick it's because they won't step from an attitude issue. Maybe it be nail trimming day or a bird being nesty, either way the stick is to prevent the biting. My birds were taught to stick however when I need the stick it's never a calm thing, they are mad. Lol. I swoop them up as quick as possible and move on from the moment. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So with a treat and clicker? Mine are all afraid of it

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I tried stick training mine, and both my tiels looked at it as if it were going to summon demons. You know... That pointy crest cockatiel stare. :wideyed:

I going to commence take two soon, though. I've been watching (and rewatching) Barbara Heindreich (I probably spelled her name wrong. I always do... ) webinars. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well in your title you said "smart" Parrot. That makes a difference. Big parrot also makes a difference.

If you have a respectful relationship with the bird and they know you a aren't going to hurt them then sometimes you need to use a little coercion to get them over the initial hump of getting in the stick. I'm talking about a parrot that knows what a stick is. It's not afraid of it. It just refuses to make that step. Treats don't work. This is the last step (after conditioning/desensitizing)

You start just like you would introducing anything new. First it's just in theroom. You move it a little closer each day over a week but don't interact with it. Let them think it's forbidden fruit. If they take the bait when it's close enough and beak it your half way there.

After a week or so you start carrying that stick around with you whenever your around them. They still don't have to get on it. Just normalize it. When the time is right (might be right away. Might take a while) in a place they don't particularly like or feel vulnerable present that stick (and a treat if that works). Immediately start to travel to take their focus off the stick because they will focus on where they're going instead. Rinse and repeat. Consistency.

I don't use a stick for little birds because I just don't find it necessary.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I tried stick training mine, and both my tiels looked at it as if it were going to summon demons. You know... That pointy crest cockatiel stare. :wideyed:

I going to commence take two soon, though. I've been watching (and rewatching) Barbara Heindreich (I probably spelled her name wrong. I always do... ) webinars. :)
Barbara Heidenreich (and I may have spelled wrong) is fabulous and awesome. Thanks to her, I was able to get MC to step on a hand. He's still timid and prefers the wrist but he can do the hand now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the bird is mean and he's on the stick you have a free hand to manipulate him. For example they can't focus on your face it there's a hand moving behind them. You can even even prevent a launch by a quick grab of the trail (basically hold them on there for a second)

Gosh I've been stick handling this bird for way to long. :faint:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I can't imagine moving an Amazon without one!