• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training a rescued Parrot

Twinlukers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
hello everyone!! We rescued a double yellow amazon parrot and things are going pretty good I think. She almost flew away but turned back and she came right back to my hand!! My heart went to my throat. But I more cautious now. Just before we got her friends tried to clip her but she needs a better job.
So my question is about training!! She chirps a lot but no big screams. I sit by her in the morning trying to talk to her because before we rescued her she was saying hello!!!!! But since we moved her from her old location to our home she had not talked.
We are going slow with things because her owner used a glove to carry her and we are trying to slowly move away from that. She’s doing pretty good because it’s only been less then a week.
But when is it a good time to start working with her and how long?

Attachments

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Slow down and let her get used to her new place and new people. What do you mean your friends tried to clip her wings? Leave her wings alone. Let her come to you when shes ready. I have 2 blue front amazons and sadly lost a yellow nape we rescued. We rescued one of our BFA in February and he still has not came out of him house. His doors open its up to him when he chooses to come out. If you push your going to end up with a parrot who is scared of you. You have to earn their trust. As far as talking does it matter?

Twinlukers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Slow down and let her get used to her new place and new people. What do you mean your friends tried to clip her wings? Leave her wings alone. Let her come to you when shes ready. I have 2 blue front amazons and sadly lost a yellow nape we rescued. We rescued one of our BFA in February and he still has not came out of him house. His doors open its up to him when he chooses to come out. If you push your going to end up with a parrot who is scared of you. You have to earn their trust. As far as talking does it matter?
We are taking it slow!! She shows good signs of acceptance and we know when to back off. When we got her our friends who have several birds said her wings are not clipped and she could fly. They almost lost her twice.. her original owner left her and you could tell she was sad. She has not attempted to bite hard and she has allowed us the let her walk on our hands. But petting her is a hit and Miss. I read a lot before we picked her up. But thanks for your words. We are not pushing just loving and talking to her.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your Amazon. Do not take her outside unless she has a harness and is harness trained or if you put her in a carrier or travel cage. Take things slow with her. Don't try to pet her right now if she doesn't like it. It's good that she is stepping up. Let her guide you regarding working with her. Watch for signs that she might bite. With Amazons it's generally eye pinning and/or tail flaring.
She's a pretty Amazon.
Here are two excellent resources about bird behavior and working with birds:

Welcome to BehaviorWorks.org
Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looks like one of those cages could use repainting.... some car paint shops are willing to do it for cheap... although starting prices are usually $75-$100 on the low end... and higher end you might as well get a new cage. They can sand-blast the old paint away and give it a new coat, just make sure that they use paints that are bird safe!

Also would recommend enclosing your patio area with screening or netting that's bird safe! If I had an outside area like that, I know I would! Would be an amazing outside aviary for the birds!!!!

Please see the following thread in regards to training, especially the video from Barbara Heidenreich :)

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum