• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trader Joe's Organic Pea Shoots?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I found these today - would they be safe to add to parrot chop?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I use their organic pea sprouts. Love TJ for healthy variety to feed my birdies

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
GREAT! Thank you so much! I have no clue how to do sprouts (that's next years project). Finding these already done was like a WOW!!!!!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I find them to be fresh. I check date on package

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sell by November 26 . . . . organic . . . . just says to rinse!

So it's okay to freeze these in the chop, right?

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
GREAT! Thank you so much! I have no clue how to do sprouts (that's next years project). Finding these already done was like a WOW!!!!!
Hiya...I've been feeding Ki a main diet of live sprouts from China Prairie...its super easy, you just soak them in a jar of water overnight, then drain, and let sit in cupboard for another day, then put in fridge. They have two kinds of sprout packages, a small grain, and a larger grain. Both contain about 30-40 seeds/grains/nuts/legumes that are great for birds. Ki has been on this ever since he was a biddy baby ...lol his feathers are glossy shiny, he is so healthy and my Vet was impressed with the diet. I rave about it...cuz its so good. Of course he also gets fresh fruits, veg, nuts...

So, don't be afraid to try! Its as simple as soaking them in water!
They call it "sprouting" but, really, it is only 1 day of soaking, then one day of resting, then fridge.

ALSO, one of Ki's FAVorite things, and great in salads, too:

Soaking Almonds
Activates Almond Enzymes And Improves Digestion
The number one reason to soak almonds is to sprout them and activate their enzymes. Almond skin contains enzyme inhibitors that protects the almond until the proper levels of sunlight and water allow it to germinate. The belief is that activating the enzymes in the almond allows better digestion and access to its nutrients. To sprout almonds you would soak them overnight.
How To Soak Almonds Overnight?
To sprout almonds you soak almonds overnight for 10 to 12 hours, After 10 to 12 hours you remove the almonds from the water, rinse them, and place them on a wet towel for 12 hours. After 12 hours you will see white spots at the tip of the almond indicating that it has sprouted. It generally takes between one and three days for the almonds to sprout.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I need to read up on this. I'm just a bit afraid of it for fear I will do something wrong.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My redbellied parrot loves soaked almonds! :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Sprouting was scary for me also, since in the not too recent past, there were bad bean sprouts being sold in markets.

But it is truly easy. I bought an EasySprouter from Sproutpeople and I use their seed and bean packages especially for birds. It's fun and really really good for them. They direct you to a YouTube video they made showing you how it's done. It's easier than Chop!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Easier than CHOP? You gotta be kidding me!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Sprouting is easy. I have also bought TJ sprouts as they appear fresher than other sprouts I have seen at market

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So can they be frozen? I'm heading off to church and want to tackle my second batch of chop when I get home.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My tiels love pea shoots! Very easy to grow...start as sprouts and then plant in some soil and let grow...I bought the seeds from Sprout People and use the Easy Sprout.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I need to read up on this. I'm just a bit afraid of it for fear I will do something wrong.
Haaa...you cant go wrong....as soon as almonds, or other seeds are in water for longer than a few hours, they do all the work! think of throwing an apple seed on the ground in rainy springtime...it just sits there and sprouts...nature does all the work!
You dont need to use soil for this method of sprouting called "soaking". Here, I show you a step by step how I do it.

On the left, you can see the sprout jar that has ready sprouts that I keep in the fridge door for Ki's everyday meal.

I keep the large bags of sprouting seeds in the freezer,

I keep a smaller container of unsprouted mix (red lid) in the fridge for easy access...
I give him about 1-2 heaping tablespoons in his dish along with fruits, veg, and other treats.

Ki enjoying his sprouts...

To Soak almonds...
(lol this is so easy)

2. Remove any broken pieces of almond.

3. Cover with fresh water.

4. Place in Closed cabinet or dark place.
Err...Someone is VERY interested...

5. That's it! Leave overnight, 1-2 days, depending on how "plump" they are getting.
The enzymes will create a cloudy water, that's natural.
Drain, rinse, cover with water, store in fridge!

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
My tiels love pea shoots! Very easy to grow...start as sprouts and then plant in some soil and let grow...I bought the seeds from Sprout People and use the Easy Sprout.
Hi...it's nice to meet another Cecilia...lol