• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy Encouragement

MavStarfox

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
So we have had Bruno (Black capped Conure) 10 days. I know its still fairly early in transition but as of yet he does NOT play with ANY toys. We have a wide selection and variety, but he seems to have zero interest. We have millet in the forage toys and he's nibbled the exposed ends but otherwise has not engaged with the toy. Is there anything I should be doing to help him experience his toys?

He was relinquished to a vets office by an owner that no longer had time for him. Unknown care/interaction level. My friend was the vet tech there and brought him home. He wanted to find him placement as Bruno was not suited for integrating into the outdoor aviary (primarily large parrots) and craved one on one attention. So far Bruno is a fantastic snuggler, adores preening, is flighted and will seek you out in the house to be with you as much as he can. Just ignores all toys :( .

Not sure if it matters in aspect of toys byt cage wise he is in a smaller setup, "adequate" I guess you could say as far as "Conure" sized "parrot" type, tall, solid bars, activity center on top, swing out feed cups etc. Not the flimsy parrakeet style petstore type. We do plan to upgrade his cage in time, this is just what came with him when he was left at the vets office. When a human is home his cage is open.

Anyway, I just want to be sure Im doing what I can to provide happiness for him.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
what type of toys do you have ?

I’ve found balsa wood gets even the hardest none toy bird to play and sola toys like sola balls

you have already done what I would suggest pushing millet or seeds into the toys have you tried playing with them and being over excited about it normally gets them when they think it’s something they shouldn’t have haha:rofl:

conurecare

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Soni Pihu
Hey there! It's great that you're taking the time to make Bruno feel at home. Don't worry too much about him not diving into the toy scene just yet – it's pretty normal, especially considering his recent move.

First off, give the little guy some time. Moving to a new place can be a bit overwhelming, and Bruno might need a moment to settle in. It's awesome that he's already a snuggle pro!

Maybe try playing with the toys yourself, just to show Bruno how it's done. Birds often pick up on things by watching, and he might get curious and join in.

Experiment with where you put the toys in his cage. Sometimes a change in location can make all the difference.

Make sure you've got a mix of toys – different colors, textures, and shapes. Birds can be picky, so having a variety might help you figure out what he likes.

Since he's into millet, you could try more foraging toys. They're great for keeping a bird's mind active. Hide some treats in there, and Bruno might find it more interesting.

Rotate the toys every now and then. Birds can get bored easily if they see the same things all the time.

When Bruno does give a toy some attention, give him a little praise or a treat. Positive reinforcement works wonders!

And about the cage, it sounds decent for now, but maybe think about upgrading in the future. A bigger space could mean more room for toys and activities.

Keep giving him that one-on-one time – it's obviously something he loves. The bond you're building is a big deal for his happiness.

check Conure Care guide website to know more about conures and how to care for them

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
It is also possible that he doesn’t know how to play with the toys. Once he settles in to his new home you can encourage play by playing with the toys in front of him. Our conure was a baby and we had to teach him how to play with the toys . Sounds like a very lucky conure to have come to you. I also think you are right to get him settled in before changing his cage. Welcome and definitely keep us updated on his progress. We love pictures