• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Toweling our Eclectus to get him to the vet?

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
[Edit] I can see this is the wrong forum since it isn't a real emergency, but I'll let the post stand as is. Forgiveness please :)

Toby the Eclectus has been having trouble with hands again and now I absolutely have to get his claws trimmed. They only have an opening at the vet in an hour from now so I have to think and move fast. I have a dog carrier to put him in with some treats.

We're going through some trust issues, so which do you think is better?
  1. get him to step up and try to quickly get him into the carrier, or
  2. try to towel him quickly and gently
I foresee a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth with option 1.

Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I usually go the step up, get them in quick method. : )

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I usually go the step up, get them in quick method. : )
Well, I decided to towel him... and, yes, there was wailing and gnashing of beak! Ear piercing sounds I've never heard from him before. I just didn't want to risk him figuring out what was going on and start flying around the room.

He gave the vets a run for their money. He squirmed and squirmed until he could latch on to a finger. He bit through gloves. He fought until they snipped the last nail.

Then we came home and both of us took a two-hour nap!

Last edited: