• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TOTAL PANIC!!!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
@finchly Will hopefully have some great advice too :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, sorry I had missed all this!
OK here is my opinion. I have NEVER had an aggressive society finch, and that's why you don't find it online. They just aren't. However - you know that often societies and zebras are cross-bred, right? So I think he has just enough ZEBRA in him to act this way. He wants to mate and she's saying no, I think. If you'd put him in a zebra finch costume, we'd all say "totally normal." Little buggers.

I'm assuming you don't want to buy more finches and re-pair them with a different mate, and you don't want to separate them and have 2 lonely birds. When I had zebras (I quit them because I can't stand aggressive behavior) I would either hang LOTS more fake plants in the cage to sort of visually block the aggressor, or I'd put more cages side-by-side with the sides removed/ziptie the cages together. Or both. That way she can get away and he might get distracted during his search for her.
Another thing, this will be hard to explain, I took round cardboard rolls (like the center out of a roll of ribbon, only bigger, 4" diameter and perhaps 3" deep) and hot-glued 3 side by side. So three circles. OOO
Then I hung that against the side of the cage. Birds that got chased could sit in them and sort of hide. Effective, inexpensive, and you can toss it when it gets dirty.

I believe this will settle down once they quit the eggs, but please know that finches CAN harm one another, and can kill another bird. :(

They're probably getting tired of egg-sitting now. Once they aren't on them so often, just pull them out.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Excellent thanks for the tips. I have not heard any scuffles all day yesterday or today, however its also back to a normal weekday schedule so I have been sitting in the kitchen more throughout the day for work. I will continue to monitor them. For some reason, it has yet to happen when I am in the room. Its as if Charlie knows he's being bad and only does it behind my back. I don't actually believe this, but who knows... Another interesting development that potentially confirms both you and zoo mom's theory is he has started singing again. He stopped singing for most of the incubation process, but I heard one or two songs yesterday and today. Sounds like Charlie is sexually frustrated haha.

As for the egg sitting, they are still trading off pretty normally. Only once have I caught them both out of the nest and its usually Charlie who leaves the nest early (probably expected). I have been wondering about when to take the eggs out. How will I know they are completely ready for me to remove the eggs? Will they abandon them, or do I just need to go in here soon and remove them to push them over that threshold?

Thanks!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You know, people always say wait until they abandon them. But I have pulled some, once I knew they were way past 'due', and the birds did not seem distressed. Perhaps at that point it's relief!

Poor Charlie. :D

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Charlie says "YES, I am sexually frustrated, so I'm just going to take it out on my body and this table..."

Both of them persuaded me to hand over the treat bowl I was giving to Lada. (Same treat bag, different bowl)

IMG_20170919_183508.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
"Mine! Dad, do not take away my treat bowl!"

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Still no scuffles. Maybe Charlie gave up trying. Emma seems much more outgoing now too. Even landed on my head and shoulder a few times here recently. I think you might be right about them being done egg sitting very soon. They are both starting to act a lot more open and less skittish too. Still trading off of course egg sitting. I'm going to give them maybe another week or two. If they are both still sitting on the nest after then, I may go ahead and remove the eggs.