• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tortoise Family

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
image.jpg
Thought ai would share photo's of our tortoises. These are Redfoot tortoises. They are South American and have special humidity needs. The 2 little ones come in at night and sleep in a closed chamber environment. The other 5 have an insulated and heated house with humidity attached to an outdoor garden ( predator proof)

image.jpg This is Jasmine a Calif Desert Tortoise.
image.jpg

image.jpg

This is Mojave, a baby Calif. Desert tortoise.

These guys definitely keep one outside with your gardening tools out. They're a fun hobby.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your tortoises are beautiful!

Matt

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Wow they're big! I expected little ones like the turtles you see in pet stores. How long have you had them and how old are they? And I know this is a stupid question, but do they have different personalities?

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Wow they're big! I expected little ones like the turtles you see in pet stores. How long have you had them and how old are they? And I know this is a stupid question, but do they have different personalities?
I think those are great questions. Some do follow you around and like their shells gently rubbed. Others couldn't care less. They just want food. :)
The Redfoots are between ages 2 1/2 to 6 years old. The biggest at the moment is 7" long and weighs 2 1/2 pounds. I've had the Redfoots for 4-5 years. 3 of them were raised up as hatchlings by me. They will get 10-12 inches average, but remain a manageable size.
We have 3 Calif Desert tortoises, all adopted.
The baby, a 15 year old that weighs 5 pounds and a 40 year old that weighs 10 pounds. The 5 pounder is personality plus!
:)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Very cool! I've always wanted one.... I think tortoises are much smarter than a lot of people realize.

2torts1bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ida
I am soooo jealous of your tortoise family! Such beautiful coloring and smooth shells. :p I have 2 torts but they stay on the small side! I was originally going to get a redfoot but fell for a little Hermann's instead :D

2torts1bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ida
Also, I would love to provide a home for a CA desert tortoise, since I am in SoCal. I don't know how though, wouldn't one need a permit since they are endangered?

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
You can contact your local CTTC ( California Turtle and Tortoise Club). They will be happy to assist you in adopting and caring for a tortoise.
My friend Lynda, at the Chino chapter does the permitting. It's as simple as filling out a form.
What area are you in?

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I am soooo jealous of your tortoise family! Such beautiful coloring and smooth shells. :p I have 2 torts but they stay on the small side! I was originally going to get a redfoot but fell for a little Hermann's instead :D
Hermanns are great tortoises!! :)

2torts1bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ida
You can contact your local CTTC ( California Turtle and Tortoise Club). They will be happy to assist you in adopting and caring for a tortoise.
My friend Lynda, at the Chino chapter does the permitting. It's as simple as filling out a form.
What area are you in?
I am in Orange County.