• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Topic Starter for 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Would anyone like to try to explain what part clipping has in Positive Reinforcement Training?

From my own point of veiw of living with flighted birds.
We know Tiels can be clumsy even if they have never been clipped.
But in seeing how well confident flyers can change direction at a whim and land it whereever they feel like.
Then there are those that I have rescued that have a full set of feathers and still struggle to fly. Until their body adjusts and they muscle up.
Then we have the cliped or those that are growing out new flights after a clip.
These are the ones who are put in danger by who ever clipped them.
You can see this just by watching them. They will strut back and foreth before take off and only get one shot at landing it. If they make any adjustments in flight they may well miss the landing or crash.
This must do a lot of damage to their confidence?
I find my flighted birds take off at a whim, no pre thought just gone. They can land or change direction and then land or just play in the air.

PLEASE NOTE: Clipped Tiels can and will fly. Just not that well. I feel it is safe to state that most small birds that are clipped, can fly enough to escape.

I state this as I have Cindy my new rescue, who has a horrible 'One Wing Clip'. It is Utter rubbish that it stops them from flying due to unbalancing them.
This just means she has to work a lot harder, but still flies, and not very good at landings.
On her Av check she did 5 laps around the surgery, before losing height.

It would be good to know if those that have flown into toilets, stoves and things were confident non clipped birds.
I know the two Loris I play with at the rescue, who are non flighted, will throw theirselves into space trying to get to me, and if I am not watching they can crash to the floor.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am all for flight...Sam is a wonderful jet plane flyer and she enjoys it so much...she just zooms around having a great old time...the other birds too...I think clipping is a choice but given the choice, I would never clip them....

Status
Not open for further replies.