• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too slow?

Revali

Walking the driveway
I've received a lot of great advice through here and thank you all very much for it! I've finally made headway with my little Cockatiel but I was hoping for a little critique or just anything. (I'm only at three weeks with him and he's 6 months old) He has no problem taking seeds from my hand or my fingers. He does not want to be touched even if set him on me with a stick he'll bite but now he doesn't bite as hard so it's OK. Lately I've been giving him a seed and touching his head but he makes a little scared sound so I'm not sure if I should keep doing that but he always comes back for another seed LOL.
Also i'm trying to lure him onto my finger with a seed but he again makes that sound then bites me (not hard). I feel like I might be taking it too slow but I'm also thinking maybe I shouldn't push him at all.
On a side note he wont play with toys and doesn't really much go into chirp mode also I'm not sure how many Sunflower seed's is ok for him to have we go through a lot he's basicly a chipper machine with those things he only has them for "training" though.

Last edited:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
On the contrary, it seems a bit fast. I never touch a bird on the head unless they invite it by bowing their head and fluffing their feathers. To him, it's not a pleasurable experience, its invasive and scary. He probably doesn't realise that you're only trying to pet him.

Try going back to just step up training for now. He's not going to trust your fingers if you keep touching him when he doesn't want to be touched. Ignoring his bites, which are a bird's last resort when his cues are being ignored, is only instilling fear and distrust in him.

Revali

Walking the driveway
On the contrary, it seems a bit fast. I never touch a bird on the head unless they invite it by bowing their head and fluffing their feathers. To him, it's not a pleasurable experience, its invasive and scary. He probably doesn't realise that you're only trying to pet him.

Try going back to just step up training for now. He's not going to trust your fingers if you keep touching him when he doesn't want to be touched. Ignoring his bites, which are a bird's last resort when his cues are being ignored, is only instilling fear and distrust in him.
I keep hearing not to be afraid to get bitten and if I pull away from a bird it learns to chase you away and that your scared, So I let him bite. I'm guessing he'll give up on that at some point.
As far as setup training he wont do it even with a stick. Maybe I'll stick to hand feeding for a few more days and try again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best way to not reinforce a bite is to learn your bird's body language and avoid the bite altogether. You can't reinforce a bite that didn't happen. All "letting him bite" does is teach him he has no control in the relationship and that he has to bite harder or figure out a different way to get through to you.

You can't go "too slow". The slower the better.

Revali

Walking the driveway
The best way to not reinforce a bite is to learn your bird's body language and avoid the bite altogether. You can't reinforce a bite that didn't happen. All "letting him bite" does is teach him he has no control in the relationship and that he has to bite harder or figure out a different way to get through to you.

You can't go "too slow". The slower the better.
Slow seems to be the key the hissing has stopped as far as I can tell. The biting next hopfully. :tiel2::D