• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (too) sleepy cockatiel

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
Hello!

Well, today, while I was having breakfeast, my cockatiel Lestat was walking around the table as usual; exploring things, asking for some fruit and overall being the adorable baby she is. Until she raised some interest for an open jar of milk sweet (I'm not sure if that's the correct name?? but it's basically milk and sugar) and instantly jumped right into it. Her feet and some of her belly got quite dirty, so I washed her three times out of pure anxiety because >>milk she could potentially eat while cleaning herself<<. Around mid afternoon she started getting very sleepy and quiet (she's usually full of energy and a screamy lad). I haven't seen any unusual poops in her cage (maybe one, but I'm not sure??) and she is both eating her seeds and drinking water as usual, so I'm not sure if I'm just too worried or not worried enough.

My current plan is wait until tomorrow to see if she'll get better and, if she won't, take her to the vet.

Thank you!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@hobiased I think you're talking about condensed milk maybe. Muito doce, vem numa lata,facil de comer com uma colher de cha? If she didn't "eat" any of it she should be ok, even if she had some accidentally. I suspect it may be condensed milk.

OR dulce de leche/doce de leite?

Last edited:

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
@hobiased I think you're talking about condensed milk maybe. Muito doce, vem numa lata,facil de comer com uma colher de cha? If she didn't "eat" any of it she should be ok, even if she had some accidentally. I suspect it may be condensed milk.
Doce de leite, my fellow carioca. Segundo o google não tem fora do brasil, então chutei o balde no google tradutor. I think she is having some kind of bellyache and that is making her sleep a lot, but I think she is already getting better! She woke up for a bit not long ago and walked around (even cursed out one of her budgie neighbours), and now is sleeping again. Maybe it's just a nappy day in a sad coincidence?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Doce de leite - ITAMBE Doce de Leite 400 grs. (14 oz.) Very sweet spread, same or similar consistency to peanut butter when warm.

@hobiased Also known in Uruguay & Argentina as dulce de leche. Dulce de leche - Wikipedia

We can now find dulce de leche ice cream. It's very sweet though, so you need something to counterbalance that.

I am happy to hear that Lestat is feeling better.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a silly bird! I would think she would be okay if she ingested a bit. I’m glad she seems like she’s feeling better!

hobiased

Moving in
Real Name
Icaro
Just a little update:
Lestat is back to her regular self! She woke up waaay better this morning and is as noisy and active as usual.
Thank you all for calming the (overly) worried parent I am!