• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too Skinny??

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Hello again,

My Gcc is a bit small compared to the GCCs seen at the petstores. Yesterday when he jumped onto my palm and laid there I felt a strange pokey bone. The bones may be his pelvic or hip bones. I dont know, not great at remembering bird anatomy. Anyway the bones are right above his vent. They have about a pinkie finger sized width between them. I never felt this on any previous birds I have had and I believe its because my current bird may be too skinny. I have him scheduled for a checkup in the coming weeks so I will find out his weight, etc. But I would also like to get your opinions. Do you feel this on your birds when they siton your palms (if they sit on your palms). I mean I know you might but Echo's bones feel like they would need a little more meat on them. I may be simply paranoid.

Thanks in advance. :hug8:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Don't panic or worry I'm sure your vet will know what to look for and can give you some advice if there is a diet issue.

Or the vet will tell you you are paranoid with a smile and hold his/her hand out and say $100 please. ;)

I'm joking about about the last part. :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have a postage scale? You can weigh him on it. Make sure to select "grams."

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Is he eating well?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You cant tell if the bird is thin by its butt bones. Lol.

Even feeling the keel can be inaccurate.

I wouldnt worry about it, really.

Take your birds to the vet for peace of mind but dont worry about his weight because of his butt bones. My birds have those bones too. And its more easily felt by my males. ;)