• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Too Many Blood Feathers! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
My darling Douglas came to me with severely clipped wings. So clipped that as soon as he falls, he falls like a rock. And often lands on his back.

He was pretty good before, but as he is getting more confident and comfortable, he is taking more risks... like trying to follow me out of the room, jumping off his perches and playing on his gym in extremely acrobatic ways!

And unfortunately, this has led to a lot of bad landings and A LOT of blood feathers broken. He broke two today. One of them stopped bleeding quickly, and the other I have clotted, but if it starts again I'm going to have to pull it.

What can I do to... help him? It's really killing me, and i'm tired of having crazy heart attacks every time i see blood.

And I am taking him to the vet to get the other broken ones pulled.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
It really takes two people to pull a blood feather. One to hold the bird and one to pull. Make sure all your equipment is sterile and ready to go and have a small flashlight on hand in case you need to see better and your clotting medicine is open so that you can dab some on immediately.

Have the other person hold your bird while you pull. Make sure your plyers are at the base of the feather shaft as close as you can get to the skin. It will feel like a collasping drinking straw. Get a good grip and then pull with just a little more force than plucking an eyebrow. The feather should come out and you can clean the spot and put on your clotting meds.

As for him hurting himself, I would pad all around where he's playing and trying to fly with towels or blankets to break the fall.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
So sorry to read this....
You need to "pad" the area around his cage with pillows or such that when he lands it won't be so hard for a while...
This is a big problem when trimmed short and I feel so bad for him...
Another way is keep him in his cage until they grow more...don't like doing this but sometimes it just might be better and safer....take him out only when you can make sure he is not going to be jumping etc....
Cayenne pepper I have found is the best to stop bleeding IF you don't have to pull the blood feather but pulling it is the best way! Over the years I have had to pull them by myself on Macaws etc...not fun but it can be done...Needle nose pliers are the best to have around to do this and making sure you are holding the feather folicle in one hand as you do it so as not to tear it as the feather shaft comes out....and yes the bird is TOTALLY toweled...head and all if you are doing by yourself! Make sure you are talking in a calm voice and telling the bird what you are doing and pull quickly...
If you can't do this proceedure by yourself...call a vet and get the bird there!:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Here's a video to help visualize what Ginger and BF are saying.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I also would encourage you to not have him "take risks" until he can better fly. Dont put him in a situation where he is going to follow you if you know the outcome is bad. :(

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I had a Grey here that did the same thing. I used to take the rectangular laundry baskets that are not too deep and line them with pillows, have them all around the cage. It was horrible and my family (all visitors) thought I was really insane, but It helped and after about 6 months she was able to grow in some of those feathers.
I would also be worried about a broken sternum. If he cant be protected from this, he needs to ONLY be out of cage while he is being held or on a low surface. This could cause a very unfortunate incident.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's very important to stop those falls from a mental point of view. It can break their confidence and the will to fly once they do have feathers. Physical injuries heal quick. Mental Injuries do not.

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i'm sorry i can't be of much help to you but i hope this doesn't happen again....

Status
Not open for further replies.