• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tomorrow...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aaa your baby is so cute! *almost* makes me want a parrotlet. Key word here being almost. I like my birds the way I like my dogs. Big and friendly.
Oh but they ARE big! Just ask them! Ten feet tall and bullet proof, trapped in a 4 inch body.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
I think I'm adjusting to life as a Parrotlet parront... I'm learning some things and still confused by others... I've learned that greens or broccoli on top of the cage get eaten through the bars, but greens in a bowl mostly end up on the floor, same food, different presentation. I've learned that a half a strawberry can be both eaten and spattered in a three foot blast zone of sticky mess.
I've had good success with balsa wood toys, both store bought and home made, happily shredded for hours of entertainment.
I'm not so sure I'm mastering communication or understanding... Sometimes (nearly always) she comes to the cage door eagerly when I open it, but occasionally (more recently) she doesn't feel like coming out. Sometimes with a threat display, sometimes just ignoring me. I respect her wishes, but I'm confused. My husband is finding the same (if anything she is more bitey with him) She did that yesterday, but she happily came out to visit this morning. I'm not yet seeing a pattern, time of day or other common factor. It's hard for me to keep a consistent time of day for bird playtime. She gets some twice a day most days, but not always at the same time... Our schedules are a bit chaotic.
Am I doing something wrong socializing her?
And why do I get bit so often...? I know she's young and learning, and she doesn't seem to bite maliciously (usually) but like she's testing everything. How can I help her learn to be gentle?

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
And why do I get bit so often...? I know she's young and learning, and she doesn't seem to bite maliciously (usually) but like she's testing everything. How can I help her learn to be gentle?
Because you have a parrotlet. XD

Do a google search on 'Gentle Beak Technique'. I've found it quite useful with my p'lets.

Andrea G

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, the 'gentle beak technique' article is great, I will start that training tomorrow!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Sometimes (nearly always) she comes to the cage door eagerly when I open it, but occasionally (more recently) she doesn't feel like coming out. Sometimes with a threat display, sometimes just ignoring me. I respect her wishes, but I'm confused. My husband is finding the same (if anything she is more bitey with him) She did that yesterday, but she happily came out to visit this morning. I'm not yet seeing a pattern, time of day or other common factor. It's hard for me to keep a consistent time of day for bird playtime. She gets some twice a day most days, but not always at the same time... Our schedules are a bit chaotic.
Am I doing something wrong socializing her?
At least in my experience, parrotlets can be cage aggressive. Our parrotlet Curtis would charge at us or threaten, but usually would stop when we stayed still after showing off how "powerful" he was. Some people stick/perch train for this reason, it allows you to put in something that won't hurt if it gets a bite. Then you can remove them from that territorial space and once they're out, they'll usually not be as aggressive. But parrotlets are just more nippy than others. Over time, I'm sure you'll learn MUCH better how to read the body language and move your hand away or stop doing something before a bite. Look for raised feathers on the neck and upper back but not on the top of the head and for the postures she does. Excited but happy usually has all the feathers on their head puffed up, excited but angry usually more just on the neck and back. At least for Curtis that's how it was!

Do keep in mind also that they use their beak to test the safety of a perch, sometimes they'll gently put their beak on a surface to see if it's safe to pull themselves up onto and stand on. When you're getting a "real bite" you'll know. They break skin. Hopefully you'll keep getting used to her as you go. My wife and I always thought of Curtis as a lil guy who could get over stimulated with emotion and even when he was really excited in a good way, sometimes he would just bite you super hard for no real reason. Haha.. gotta have patience when they get in those moody spells sometimes cuz boy howdy do those smart! I'm sure you're doing fine, it's just a really different "beast" than something like a cat or dog, there's a lot to adjust to.