• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toe normal?

MeeRee

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I have had my caique almost two months and have only just now noticed that his smaller back toe on his left foot has a groove all the way around at a joint. When I noticed it last night, it scared me because I was worried about toe strangulation. However, after digging through LOTS of pictures I found this one from (Jan. 18) and you can see it's like that then, as well. He isn't acting like it is bothering him at all. I only noticed it while I was snuggling him and checking him over while he was being calm. What do you think?

Attachments

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
The ring around the toe isn't too clear to me in the image provided, I downloaded and zoomed in... The reindeer on your right thumb is pretty clear, though... Nice Nails! Is there any way you can post a close-up??

I don't think would worry too much about it, he has apparently had this "issue" for months and I assume is not showing any signs of discomfort. I would just mention it to your vet next time you take him for a check-up.

MeeRee

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Haha! Thanks, it's actually my daughter's nails. Unfortunately, that's the clearest picture I have. He's so active it's hard to get a good picture. I will try to get a better one today, but it's not likely. It is basically at the joint but it is all the way around and quite a crease. However, it doesn't look like anything is around it and wouldn't it have done quite a bit of damage in that length of time? We've actually taken him to the vet recently, but evidently the vet didn't notice it either.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I think if something had been wrapped around his toe you would have noticed it immediately. I know I would have.... I think if the bird isn't showing any discomfort, you are probably ok. However, I can't clearly see the ring around the toe in the image provided and I am not a vet. If you are concerned, I would take him in for a quick visit or at least call the vet and see what he says...

MeeRee

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, it is awfully hard to get a clear picture with him being so active. He's definitely not acting like anything is wrong and I'm leaning towards thinking it is just the way his foot is. I would just feel so much better if someone else could tell me they've seen a toe like this before. It is right where a joint is and depending on how he's standing you may or may not see it.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I can see it. It looks hypersegmented. I think I would have the vet look at it. I am wondering if a membrane or something similar got wrapped around the toe in the egg during development. Still, to be safe, I'd have a vet take a look.

MeeRee

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Someone else mentioned constricted toe, but that typically has other issues like no toenail and such, doesn't it? It definitely seems hypersegmented, but he doesn't seem to even notice it and seems to use it normally. I wish I had noticed it before I took him to the vet two weeks ago. :(