• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Today's rescue

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hes got canker really bad, Photos are blurred as I didnt want to stress him, he just bones:(
I Gave him sub Q fluids. Found a path into his crop for thinned down formula and his FLAGYL..will check him in an hour or so
20190528_183403.jpg
20190528_184141.jpg
Did manage to get some of that crap out of his mouth and throat with a few wet Q tips. Canker smells really bad,,

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once again, thanks for rescuing another bird. Hope he will be OK.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Thanks for rescuing poor baby.

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thank you <3

Excuse my ignorance, is this something you do professionally or as a volunteer/rescuer? Either way, we need more people like you :heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good news, he made it through the night, gave him his meds, and subQ fluids this morning before work, and his formula! Just got home from work, hes still hanging in there, more subQ fluids, meds and formula,,hes got a huge Canker in his " Gular" area just below the lower beak and throat, cleaned a teeny bit of that out..its tough to clean, if you probe too much, itll bleed..cleaned his face up, he almost seemed relieved by that. I will check on him through the afternoon..

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you <3

Excuse my ignorance, is this something you do professionally or as a volunteer/rescuer? Either way, we need more people like you :heart:
I'm a volunteer vet tech/ rescue transport for the wildlife rescue, and I rescue/ rehab from my house also.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm a volunteer vet tech/ rescue transport for the wildlife rescue, and I rescue/ rehab from my house also.
You rock girl.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hes perked up a little, just gave him his last feeding for the night, his poo has turned from khaki to bright " starving" green, but at least were pooping! I will increase the thickness of his formula by feeding. Hes a fighter, but not out of the woods yet. Its amazing how resilient they are..

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Fly high little one. Thank you for all that you did.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:(

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Bummer :( you made his last moments more comfortable for sure! I bet he felt the love :heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I know he felt the love.

Thanks for sharing your heart.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
What is canker?
I'm sorry that he passed but at least you did your best.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What is canker?
I'm sorry that he passed but at least you did your best.
Canker, also known as Trichomoniasis, highly contagious virus, it looks like yellowing cottage cheese or a plague like growth, most commonly found in the mouth and upper GI tract, the crop ..if in the crop or gular area, it feels like a hard knot..it smells horrible. If an infected bird drinks from,,say a birdbath, every other bird that drinks from it will be infected. If a prey bird eats an infected bird, or feeds it to they're young,then they become infected. It can be cured if caught early, but if caught in the later stage, most likely fatal, bird salivation is increased, breathing problems, cannot swallow or drink.. I have saved some and lost some from it..FLAGYL is the most commonly used medication in treating canker. The virus lives in the soil out here in the desert usually and can be lessened when theres a good amount of rain. We always say we wont have a bad canker season when we get lots of rain.. If you handle an infected bird, you must bleach from the elbows down to not bring the spores into your house, especially if you have birds of your own.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
If an infected bird drinks from,,say a birdbath, every other bird that drinks from it will be infected.
Thanks for asking @Crazy4parrots

Yikes! Is this stuff in Missouri too? I have a water fountain and I hope I won't spread that stuff!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Canker, also known as Trichomoniasis, highly contagious virus, it looks like yellowing cottage cheese or a plague like growth, most commonly found in the mouth and upper GI tract, the crop ..if in the crop or gular area, it feels like a hard knot..it smells horrible. If an infected bird drinks from,,say a birdbath, every other bird that drinks from it will be infected. If a prey bird eats an infected bird, or feeds it to they're young,then they become infected. It can be cured if caught early, but if caught in the later stage, most likely fatal, bird salivation is increased, breathing problems, cannot swallow or drink.. I have saved some and lost some from it..FLAGYL is the most commonly used medication in treating canker. The virus lives in the soil out here in the desert usually and can be lessened when theres a good amount of rain. We always say we wont have a bad canker season when we get lots of rain.. If you handle an infected bird, you must bleach from the elbows down to not bring the spores into your house, especially if you have birds of your own.
OMG wow! Trichomoniasis is zoonotic!