• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Today's rescue ...graphic

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Poor dove he is so handsome and beautiful. I hate the person who did that to him like seriously I hate it when a person causes an animal injury and just runs away. The injury is quite big poor dove. God bless you for helping him. I hate it when people offen purposely drive over animals this once happened to a dog while i was near by the poor thing was limping so badly but i couldn't help him as he was a wild angry stray and would snap and threaten to bite if you came near him ,but I heard he got better.

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
In the driver's defense it almost certainly wasn't intentional; he probably didn't even know it happened. Doves are terrible at getting out of the way of vehicles in general, and if this one got hit it likely has something else wrong with it as well. I've had several mourning doves bounce off my windshield over the years because they were too busy staring at the car trying to decide if they reeeeeeeally had to move to actually get moving. I always hope that they learned a lesson as they fly off, though I'm sure they don't. :p

Good on you for picking him up, @Birdbabe. I hope your husband is doing better as well. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In the driver's defense it almost certainly wasn't intentional; he probably didn't even know it happened. Doves are terrible at getting out of the way of vehicles in general, and if this one got hit it likely has something else wrong with it as well. I've had several mourning doves bounce off my windshield over the years because they were too busy staring at the car trying to decide if they reeeeeeeally had to move to actually get moving. I always hope that they learned a lesson as they fly off, though I'm sure they don't. :p

Good on you for picking him up, @Birdbabe. I hope your husband is doing better as well. :)
He did see it, I watched him, and that dove was perfect, he was just in the road, as they do, maybe looking for food, the guy was coming the opposite direction..hubby's still the same,,thanks for asking.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
he probably didn't even know it happened.
If you don't notice that you run over a animal you should not be driving.
Doves are terrible at getting out of the way of vehicles in general, and if this one got hit it likely has something else wrong with it as well.
Or some drivers/people has no respect that we share this planet together. And they where here first.
I always hope that they learned a lesson as they fly off, though I'm sure they don't. :p
Perhaps you should learn your lesson instead.
Doves and pigeons are calm birds that not are afraid of humans as other birds are. They often seek us for both food and help.
But you think it's right that we punish them for that? To run them over is your legal right?
Perhaps you should interact with a dove or pigeon, to find out what a great animal they are.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
saw the bird get hit and stumble , pulled my car over. Stopped traffic , got bird,,,hes an adult whitewing dove...wrapped him in my jacket and got him home.
My hero! ♥♥♥
Hes in good hands at Liberty! It's a 35 mile drive ,,,he did well in the car.
Thank you! ♥
Makes me want to get a baseball bat and name it 'Karma'. :mad2:
That sounds great. We can both get them..:devil:
Amen! And on a sharp curve of a gravel road at night. :glare:
I like your way of thinking. :D
I was thinking skip that flat tire. May the bottom of his car fall off & give his butt some road rash!
I like your way of thinking too. :D

I rescued a pigeon today too
♥♥♥

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
To run them over is your legal right?
Nowhere did anyone say anything as ridiculous as that. What was ridiculous was people suggesting that a man be beaten, injured, or die in an accident because a dove hit his car. Neither those insinuations nor your response reflect well upon anyone.

I was trying to use a little humor to offer a gentle reminder that wishing injury or death upon fellow humans because of an accident such as this beyond extreme. I hope that no one here genuinely feels that way, and that words might be chosen more wisely in the future. There are undoubtedly many of us who have lost loved ones to accidents, some caused by animals darting into the roadway, who do not appreciate such bizarre and outlandish statements.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Nowhere did anyone say anything as ridiculous as that.
But you did say this:
I've had several mourning doves bounce off my windshield over the years because they were too busy staring at the car trying to decide if they reeeeeeeally had to move to actually get moving.
If they bounces off, haven't you been run them over then?
You know that your car has brakes? And that you not should drive so fast so you can't stop your car?
But they where their first? At that spot. But you thought that they should move, and when they don't you run them over instead.

I was trying to use a little humor
It was not funny.
But the one that we post about the driver and karma, that was funny. :D
You must understand that we are on a bird forum, I don't think anyone here will sympathize with the driver.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I saw a crow against the concrete barrier of the main west bound 3 lane freeway here this morning looking like he was desperately trying to jump up to the top of the barrier. When I got closer it was apparent he had a freshly broken wing and was scared to death trying to get to safety as one wing was outstretched and looked like it had damage when I got right next to him. I couldn't stop as it was morning rush hour and I was in the work van with a coworker on my way to a job. If I had been in my own car I probably would have stopped and boxed him in till I could scoop him up and take him to get help. I hate seeing critters suffering and not being able to do anything about it and it bothered me all day:sad2: I HOPE somebody took pity on him and rescued him but probably a long shot poor little guy.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Nowhere did anyone say anything as ridiculous as that. What was ridiculous was people suggesting that a man be beaten, injured, or die in an accident because a dove hit his car. Neither those insinuations nor your response reflect well upon anyone.

I was trying to use a little humor to offer a gentle reminder that wishing injury or death upon fellow humans because of an accident such as this beyond extreme. I hope that no one here genuinely feels that way, and that words might be chosen more wisely in the future. There are undoubtedly many of us who have lost loved ones to accidents, some caused by animals darting into the roadway, who do not appreciate such bizarre and outlandish statements.
Wow, really, Really REALLY, Really.
Excuse me WHAT¿¿¿¿¿¿¿