• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today's lunch

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Love it! :heart2:

Reactions: Dgh

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks really good. I bet it smells wonderful.

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
@Karen oh my it smelled wonderfull as o was emptying the processor. Though I don't care for bell peppers. And the mint and basil were great. I am one of the few people who really can't handle cilantro though. I use it for them out of love and wanting to keep them healthy. It was a hit. Quill loved the fig. My conure not so much. She is a stickler for freeze dried dried apples though..

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My boys love fig! The figs are very high sugar though so they aren't an everyday food. They get them maybe fortnightly. They also love turkish figs and those store really well :)

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
@fashionfobie my moms 2 bushes are only around 5 years old and this is their first year producing. There aren't a lot of them so they won't get any more probably this year. I just like trying them with a little bit of the seasonals. I am a foodie at heart so I mix it up often lol

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Prepping my birds morning salads is one the the best parts of my day :) I totally relate!

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
@fashionfobie I have more veggies in the fridge and freezer for them than for myself. I dont want to eat the same thing everyday so I go to the fridge saying "lets see what I can mix together today". Glad I am not the only one out here!! What won't we do for our fids....:batonthehead:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@fashionfobie I have more veggies in the fridge and freezer for them than for myself. I dont want to eat the same thing everyday so I go to the fridge saying "lets see what I can mix together today". Glad I am not the only one out here!! What won't we do for our fids....:batonthehead:
I can relate! I have guinea pigs and the guy at the shop thinks I eat so healthy, but I rarely get anything myself, when I do I feel like I'm stealing from them!! The nice thing is that I can use some of that for the birds though, so I don't use 3 cm of a carrot and 4 from a cucumber on them then let the rest dry or go moldy...

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I try to buy veggies with an ok shelf life. My chickens eat basically anything, so if it isn't right for a parrot the hens will have their pass.

I have a veggie drawer that is totally separate and it keeps the veggies pretty well. Fruit is the bigger problem since they get such a small portion and fruit can turn quickly once it is cut. To help with this I give them parts of fruit I will eat the rest of or I buy naturally dried fruit with no additives. Luckily they accept some frozen- thawed stuff. Pi seems to prefer some frozen fruit over fresh even. :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I try to buy veggies with an ok shelf life. My chickens eat basically anything, so if it isn't right for a parrot the hens will have their pass.

I have a veggie drawer that is totally separate and it keeps the veggies pretty well. Fruit is the bigger problem since they get such a small portion and fruit can turn quickly once it is cut. To help with this I give them parts of fruit I will eat the rest of or I buy naturally dried fruit with no additives. Luckily they accept some frozen- thawed stuff. Pi seems to prefer some frozen fruit over fresh even. :)
I agree, fruits are a problem... They get some in the week ends, but in week days I eat lunch at work so no fruits for them.. Pichu likes dried figs but they are full of sugar so once a week is enough! He also likes rapsberries and strawberries but he shakes his head and splashes them all over the place, I need to clean the mess up before it dries and stains anything, I don't dare give that to him when I'm away!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You can try dragon fruit. They love eating the seeds from it. I can buy it frozen and they don't mind it from frozen. :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can try dragon fruit. They love eating the seeds from it. I can buy it frozen and they don't mind it from frozen. :)
:bored: what is that?? I don't think we have it here!! :wacky: