• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today my cockatiel died

Merihan

Moving in
I woke up today and knew that my male cockatiel died Leaving his female mate that just laid an egg, I don't know what to do now, I don't think that bringing a new mate now is a good idea, but I don't want to her to feel lonely and the egg thing I'm not sure that she can handle it alone or should she have a mate beside her. Any advice please?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is too soon to get her a mate. Birds do grieve and she needs to be able to do that, with your support.

Maybe some of the cockatiel people will be along to help you with the egg issue. She does not need a male. Many birds, that are only birds, lay year after year without a mate. How many eggs does she generally lay?

Welcome to AA.

Merihan

Moving in
Thank you. I thought that too but should I bring another male in general after a long time or not? She laid only one egg.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry for your loss.
There will be someone here who can offer advice.
Welcome to the forum.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry for your loss, she needs time to greive, maybe her egg will keep her busy, maybe she will abandon it.. eventually she may or may not accept a new friend,,unless you want chicks, then another female would be ok. Let her decide about her egg and if it hatches, she should be able to care for the baby, but, then again, she might need your help. Just wait and see what she wants. Do you know why her hubby passed? That's also a concern, because he could have had something she could be affected by..We are here for you and your girl.:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else. She needs time to grieve. Eventually, she probably would like a friend- either male or female. But keep in mind there's never any guarantees that two birds will get along.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cockatiel. @Birdbabe gave you some good advice. You'll just have to see how the egg works out for her, and I also would give her some time before getting another bird.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
so sorry you've lost your birdy. the right one will be waiting somewhere, its just your both not ready yet:unsure1:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Was the male cockatiel old or sick? If you did bring in a male it may hurt the baby if it hatches because it is not his. Good luck and like others I am truly sorry for the death of your male bird.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am so sorry for your loss.

As has been said, it's a good thing to go slow now. Your female tiel is mourning her loss.
et her decide about her egg and if it hatches, she should be able to care for the baby, but, then again, she might need your help. Just wait and see what she wants.
Exactly...

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Merihan

Moving in
Was the male cockatiel old or sick? If you did bring in a male it may hurt the baby if it hatches because it is not his. Good luck and like others I am truly sorry for the death of your male bird.
He was fine he wasn't sick, when I got him I didn't know his age but I had him for 3 years and a half. He was fine the night before he died I was shocked when I knew.

Merihan

Moving in
Sorry for your loss, she needs time to greive, maybe her egg will keep her busy, maybe she will abandon it.. eventually she may or may not accept a new friend,,unless you want chicks, then another female would be ok. Let her decide about her egg and if it hatches, she should be able to care for the baby, but, then again, she might need your help. Just wait and see what she wants. Do you know why her hubby passed? That's also a concern, because he could have had something she could be affected by..We are here for you and your girl.:hug8:
Until now she's taking care of it ❤.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard