• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To Scotchguard or not to Scotchguard?

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I just bought a brand new rug since my current one has rabbit pee, yogurt, coffee, and unknown stains all over it.

I'm moving houses soon, and my pets will be at my mom's house until I'm sure bleach and other chemicals/cleaners are no longer being used. This seems like a good time to Scotchguard the rug that'll be in my and the pets' room. Although, if Scotchguard can somehow be dangerous to birds even after fully drying, I won't use it. Any thoughts?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Carpet in a pets room is a dirt/bacteria/mould/bug magnet. The worst choice for a pet room floor no matter what you do to it. JMO

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I agree, but while I hate carpet, I need it for my rabbit. She's a Rex breed, and her vet recommended a cushion-y rug for her to stand and run around on. She already has calluses on her back feet, so it's really important I get her something comfortable. The main floor is a tile, wood-like, type of flooring that's very easy to clean though.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree, but while I hate carpet, I need it for my rabbit. She's a Rex breed, and her vet recommended a cushion-y rug for her to stand and run around on. She already has calluses on her back feet, so it's really important I get her something comfortable. The main floor is a tile, wood-like, type of flooring that's very easy to clean though.
Well then considering that your rabbit's very sensitive nose is going to be 1/4 inch from the floor at all times, not only would I not "treat" the carpet with anything, I would be very choosy about what the carpet is made of. Rabbits chew too.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
if you google it, scotch guard is listed as NOT being safe for parrots in a good number of sites, causing death
better safe than sorry

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That would be a big nope

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
Well then considering that your rabbit's very sensitive nose is going to be 1/4 inch from the floor at all times, not only would I not "treat" the carpet with anything, I would be very choosy about what the carpet is made of. Rabbits chew too.
if you google it, scotch guard is listed as NOT being safe for parrots in a good number of sites, causing death
better safe than sorry
Okay, I won't use it then. And the material of the rug is the same as my current one, which my rabbit hasn't shown any interest in chewing. Thanks everyone for the advice!

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Scotch guard, though I loved the concept, and I too used to use it on furniture when I had a child many moons ago, is absolutely horrible for everyone involved. So sad. It did make cleaning up kids messes easier. Such a nasty product. I was so bummed when I learned of it.
sherri

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Scotch guard is made with Teflon from DuPont- This would be dangerous at high temperature since it can release C-8..

I wouldn't want to risk it for my flock.

If your bunny needs some carpeting can you get a cotton one that is machine washable? Maybe you could buy 2 or 3 and rotate them in the washing machine regularly. -Just an idea :) Bunnies are so cute. I am not allowed them in Qld, so I dream of them from afar.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
Scotch guard is made with Teflon from DuPont- This would be dangerous at high temperature since it can release C-8..

I wouldn't want to risk it for my flock.

If your bunny needs some carpeting can you get a cotton one that is machine washable? Maybe you could buy 2 or 3 and rotate them in the washing machine regularly. -Just an idea :) Bunnies are so cute. I am not allowed them in Qld, so I dream of them from afar.
I found a bird-safe bird poop cleaner at the Petstore a little while ago, so I think that'll be enough to spot clean with. I'll also adopt a 'no food or drink' policy for on the rug to help keep it clean. (The only times my old/current rug gets dirty is when I set my glass or bowl down and the rabbit picks it up and tosses it xD )

The rugs that I get are no more than about $30, so even if I have to replace them every year or so, it's not a big deal.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I am not allowed them in Qld, so I dream of them from afar.
Good lord!! Many many years ago in grade school in the US, we saw a film of what happened when people brought rabbits to your land for hunting with dogs on horse back. What a nightmare that became! Holy wow!! who would have ever thought! A huge lesson to learn. Sometimes introducing new animals is beneficial other times devastating.
sherri