• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To Quarantine or not to .....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
done was a true quarantine ...but I have never had a bird seem so stressed in quarantine and I worry for him ....I worry I am doing this lil bird damage by keeping him away from everything that goes on ...all the attention he would normally get being with the flock ...I feel that maybe I'm not spending enough time with him so I'm going to be stepping that up
The biggest difference here is that he is a cockatoo. I don't care how many birds you've had in the past or even how many. This is a cockatoo. It's a whole new level of bird ownership. Your other birds are pets. This is a sophisticated animal that will need to be "managed" in the same way zookeepers look after their animals. He will be more work and effort than all your other birds combined. It is a constant and ongoing process of learning and adapting.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are not damaging him, IMO. Just give him the attention you can but don't go overboard with that. Make sure that he has toys not only to chew and rip apart but also to challenge him.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
The biggest difference here is that he is a cockatoo. I don't care how many birds you've had in the past or even how many. This is a cockatoo. It's a whole new level of bird ownership. Your other birds are pets. This is a sophisticated animal that will need to be "managed" in the same way zookeepers look after their animals. He will be more work and effort than all your other birds combined. It is a constant and ongoing process of learning and adapting.
So I ask the question to you what damage do you think I could be doing to him by keeping him in quarantine away from all the normal attention and goings on with in the house ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So I ask the question to you what damage do you think I could be doing to him by keeping him in quarantine away from all the normal attention and goings on with in the house ?
No matter where he is, at this point in time "everything" is stressful. His world is upside down and he's dealing with it the only way he knows how. He was/is/going to be damaged for awhile. This is a time thing and there is no shortcut. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Whether you keep him in quarantine or not, when you introduce him to the Flock it will again be all brand new. You could be starting over.

His presence in your Flock is going to change the dynamics of your entire Flock simply because he's going to be a driving force in it. Alliances/relationships will change.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Ok ...I understand so what ever I do is going to recoil back no matter what ...as long as I can fix it is all I'm worried about ...I know he is stressed that is coming out screaming clear ..I am just worried for the lil guy he seems so upset most of the time ...except when his door is open ...for some reason he seems better when his door is open even if he doesn't want to come out :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
...except when his door is open ...for some reason he seems better when his door is open even if he doesn't want to come out
I'd be leaving the magic door open as much as possible. :) (You can reasonably trace almost every "problem" they have back to the cage. Eliminating the cage goes a tremendous way to eliminating most of them).