• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To Quaker or not to Quaker, that is the question.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Yes he was getting meds 3x per day for an injury he caused from self mutilating. It healed up nicely, and then I tried to just let him be for a few days and he did it again!

We are at such a road block because he hates not having interaction, and I think it’s a huge part in his mutilation (also his diet plays a part). He doesn’t like leaving his cage, but he doesn’t want you to shut the door. But you can’t leave it open because he will come after you from several feet away. He doesn’t want you to be far away from him and will scream and shake all over if you’re too far, but he will attack if you’re too close. Talk about getting mixed signals!
He soils his water multiple times per day, so changing that is rough. Even though his bowls have doors, he comes out of that little hole.

He wasn’t so bad at first. A scared bird that seemed to be warming up to me. But he literally woke up one day with a vandetta against me and anyone else.
And at the same time, no one can come near me or he gets upset. I’m his chosen person ‍♀ (Imagine how much worse he is to everyone that’s not me )
Yes, you definitely wouldn't want to be someone he hates.

Are there any experts, vets, petstores, zoos, behaviorists that can help? He sounds like he is confused and I know you had said that his first owner didn't handle him much.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You have ducks? I had one when I was little and he was more fun than a puppy.
Jep two Indian runners:) They are amazing, and indeed very playful and cuddly!

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
Yes, you definitely wouldn't want to be someone he hates.

Are there any experts, vets, petstores, zoos, behaviorists that can help? He sounds like he is confused and I know you had said that his first owner didn't handle him much.
I’ve not been able to find anyone yet. He’s super good at the vet. Will perch and love on everyone - I assume looking for something familiar in a scary environment.

I’m hoping and crossing fingers that some of this is hormonal and will naturally get better when it’s not breeding season.

So thankful that this is a smaller bird, because I’d have had plastic surgery by now if it were one of the big guys with this temperament

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My personal favorite are the "ice blue" (AKA pallid blue)
Stunning!

I definitely have a weakness for blue budgies, so the pallid blue Quaker...:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Like any of us... each Quaker has their own personality... I've met Quakers that think they need to rip your face off, I've met others who are so sweet and loving it's beyond words adorable.

If you can adopt, go to a rescue and meet Quakers available, adopting an adult, past sexual maturity can help you with knowing if you have the good twin or the evil twin, cause Quakers do come in both models ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think quakers are the perfect bird for me! They have so much personality, for such a amall body, it's pretty incredible!

They can be super sweet, when they want to be, but all the ones I have met have the potential to be big jerks too. It changes from one day, or minute, to the next

I think you (the owner) have to have thick skin, and the personality, to go with the punches (or pinches)

You have to know how to kind of "change the subject" so to speak and make them forget about being a jerk and get them to go back into a good mood...or leave them alone for a few minutes. They are wonderful birds though!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think quakers are the perfect bird for me! They have so much personality, for such a amall body, it's pretty incredible!

They can be super sweet, when they want to be, but all the ones I have met have the potential to be big jerks too. It changes from one day, or minute, to the next

I think you (the owner) have to have thick skin, and the personality, to go with the punches (or pinches)

You have to know how to kind of "change the subject" so to speak and make them forget about being a jerk and get them to go back into a good mood...or leave them alone for a few minutes. They are wonderful birds though!
It's interesting...Quakers have a lot of personality traits of Cockatoos, although they aren't related in any way. Cockatiels, on the other hand, are related to Cockatoos, but don't really have as many personality traits of 'toos...;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's interesting...Quakers have a lot of personality traits of Cockatoos, although they aren't related in any way. Cockatiels, on the other hand, are related to Cockatoos, but don't really have as many personality traits of 'toos...;)
I've never known any cockatoos personally so I didn't realize that but that's very interesting to think about!

I always wonder how is it possible that Quakers belong to their own category? They must be related to some other bird group?

Eta* in states where they are illegal they are grey breasted conures

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never known any cockatoos personally so I didn't realize that but that's very interesting to think about!

I always wonder how is it possible that Quakers belong to their own category? They must be related to some other bird group?

Eta* in states where they are illegal they are grey breasted conures

They are taxonomically in their own genus. Conure is a term used broadly for small to medium long tailed parrots :) Same with parakeet, which is why they are also called Monk/Quaker Parakeets

They are also not the only parrot species in its own genus. Hawk Heads and Bourkes both I believe are their own branch

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Jep two Indian runners:) They are amazing, and indeed very playful and cuddly!
Mine was mean which just made him more fun. He would chase my older brother around the outside of the house usually because my brother had been teasing him. One of our animals was usually chasing him. Would steal sips from my dad's ice tea.

I had no idea that they cuddle. I just Googled Indian Runner ducks because I had never seen one. They are so cute, all neck. LOL!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
They are taxonomically in their own genus. Conure is a term used broadly for small to medium long tailed parrots :) Same with parakeet, which is why they are also called Monk/Quaker Parakeets

They are also not the only parrot species in its own genus. Hawk Heads and Bourkes both I believe are their own branch
Ooooh, I did not realize Hawk heads and Bourkes had their own genus too! That's cool! Thanks!

I was joking about the grey breasted conure thing.I remember Bob ( @cassiesdad) joked about them since he can't have a Quaker in his State. I did not know there actually is such a thing! They are unique looking. Kind of look like green cheeks mixed with Quakers, with heads that have been dipped in coloring. :huh:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Like any of us... each Quaker has their own personality... I've met Quakers that think they need to rip your face off, I've met others who are so sweet and loving it's beyond words adorable.

If you can adopt, go to a rescue and meet Quakers available, adopting an adult, past sexual maturity can help you with knowing if you have the good twin or the evil twin, cause Quakers do come in both models ;)
That's a great idea! Never even thought about adoption.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank goodness Fred has never lunged or attacked me. I got hurt one time from him and that is because we were both reaching for his toy at the same time. That was eight months ago and I still have some never damage in my thumb. Now what if he had really meant it......? (Shudder)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's a great idea! Never even thought about adoption.

I have had Jingo since 3 months old and he will be 7 in May. He's SUCH a brat :lol: All the birds I have adopted as adults have been much less....devilish :rofl:

My other quaker, Bobber, is age unknown. He is untame and I work with him little by little but he honestly, even untamed, is better behaved than Jingo. I must be a bad influence :p

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I’ve not been able to find anyone yet. He’s super good at the vet. Will perch and love on everyone - I assume looking for something familiar in a scary environment.

I’m hoping and crossing fingers that some of this is hormonal and will naturally get better when it’s not breeding season.

So thankful that this is a smaller bird, because I’d have had plastic surgery by now if it were one of the big guys with this temperament
You sound like a very nice and understanding person and thank you for taking this little guy in. I honestly don't know if I could tolerate him, we would be butting head. He sounds like one bossy little bird. :)

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
You sound like a very nice and understanding person and thank you for taking this little guy in. I honestly don't know if I could tolerate him, we would be butting head. He sounds like one bossy little bird. :)
Oh we butt heads alright. I honestly dread opening his cage every day, because he will 100% get my finger as I unlock it. Every day, without fail. He’s pulled my fingernails off in a couple places.
I’ve thought about rehoming several times, but I worry he’ll end up just stuck in a cage somewhere.
One day when aren’t renting anymore, I’ll probably build him an aviary.

I want another bird badly, but thought have potentially having another bird like this is terrifying

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Sylvester,If you are looking still for a Quaker,you can try QPSRAPP,they find homes for Quakers,Maybe they can direct you to some of the Quakers that need homes.they place and and do adoptions for Quakers.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oh we butt heads alright. I honestly dread opening his cage every day, because he will 100% get my finger as I unlock it. Every day, without fail. He’s pulled my fingernails off in a couple places.
I’ve thought about rehoming several times, but I worry he’ll end up just stuck in a cage somewhere.
One day when aren’t renting anymore, I’ll probably build him an aviary.

I want another bird badly, but thought have potentially having another bird like this is terrifying
You wouldn't have another bird like that one. Fred, my umbrella cockatoo is as gentle as they come, very patient, and trust me, I have made a lot of mistakes with him. And you should not have to have the ibird's permission to move about in your own home.

But I know what you mean about re homing. He could very well be placed permanently in a cage or he may end up with somebody that has a short fuse. That is why I am leery of re homing Fred. All it would take one day is for him to be a little bit more obnoxious than he should be.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sylvester,If you are looking still for a Quaker,you can try QPSRAPP,they find homes for Quakers,Maybe they can direct you to some of the Quakers that need homes.they place and and do adoptions for Quakers.
Thank you so much for that tip.