• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To handle or not to handle, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He has a vet appointment on Monday, and he will NOT voluntarily go in his carrier. I've always had to take him out of the cage and put him in it, which is going to undo a lot of trust. So, how do I go about getting him in the carrier? It's been sitting out in the open for a few days, and I always do that before his appointments, but he still clings to his cage whenever I try to take him out.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The video Chelsey posted is great. Can you see how Barbara Heidenriech is holding the treat in the beginning?
Just out of reach. Now, my only concern with this is Java's lack of balance. If he isn't leaning against the bars, he doesn't venture onto any of his perches. Do I still use the same method?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Would he go into the carrier if there is a treat in there?
You might create another post for this question. You will get more helpful responses.
Joey will step up and down into his carrier cage, as it is the cage that I take him outdoors in for some sun.
I have to go out for now, but will check in later.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would he go into the carrier if there is a treat in there?
You might create another post for this question. You will get more helpful responses.
Joey will step up and down into his carrier cage, as it is the cage that I take him outdoors in for some sun.
I have to go out for now, but will check in later.
Nope, he won't go near it. I'll make another post.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think that you can use the method when he is sitting on the bed. At first where he feels safe.
It is an exercise in gaining trust. And letting him accept your hand as a good thing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know how to do it. Gizmo and I bonded very quickly but in the almost 2 years I had her she would not accept my hands.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Feed him his breakfast in the opening of the door? If that doesn't Scare him too much! My Guys hate their old travel cage, loved their new bird Pouch from celltei because I let them associate it with only good things. They love it less now that I have been on a holiday but still have no problem sitting on it and we are working on going inside again. I use clicker training, click+treat when they look at it, then when they sit on the edge, then when they put their foot inside etc. I put their favorite treats and toys inside as well. With Fëanor I also let him sit on my hand while he munches on Some treats inside the carrier.
Perhaps placing it on a flat surface and offer several treats in the doordat during the day? Then as he readily takes them, move them a little more to the inside of the carrier. Not sure if you would be able to get him in in time for the vet appointment, but it might help a Tiny bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.