• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To clip a new baby rose breasted cockatoo or not?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You have to be very, very adamant about not clipping. Tell the breeder over and over and over again that you do not want your baby clipped and since you are paying the money for the bird, it should absolutely be your decision! I've been through this too many times to count! The last baby I got, my Galah female Addison, did come to me not clipped and she's the only bird I have who has never been clipped. I'm forever grateful for that. It makes such a difference. We recently brought home a beautiful Slender Billed Cockatoo female, Abby. She's two years old and she has a mild clip. She's fearful of everything and sinks like a rock when she tries to fly. It breaks my heart that she lacks the confidence that comes with flight. Galahs are a little different in the fact that they are very light birds and have a huge wing span so they can fly even with a clip but still make absolutely sure that your breeder completely understands that you do not want your baby clipped under any circumstances! Your money, your choice!

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I'm not sure if you'd want the hassle but one suggestion would be to temporarily hang up mosquito netting in front of the door. You would have to lift it up and to go outside, but if the bird ever got spooked and darted out the door, she would see the netting. I say mosquito netting because it's light enough that you could simply tape it up and take it down when you feel your kids have learned enough.

Lastly, I know you didn't ask for this but it's something I learned the hard way with my sun conure. I rehomed Lily to my brother when I moved to an apartment. She's a once in a million bird, but far too loud for an apartment. It was a perfect situation because I get to see her whenever and she loves my nieces. I can count the number of times she's bit someone (including small children) on one hand. She has only drew blood once.

The only problem? Surprisingly, the two year old was terrified of her. We later learned that it was because kids under six have better hearing and Lily's call would cause her pain. She's adjusted now, but for a while she had to wear ear muffs around Lily.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I'm not sure if you'd want the hassle but one suggestion would be to temporarily hang up mosquito netting in front of the door. You would have to lift it up and to go outside, but if the bird ever got spooked and darted out the door, she would see the netting. I say mosquito netting because it's light enough that you could simply tape it up
That’s an awesome idea! I love the mosquito netting idea. I’ll be careful with my daughters ears. Good to know.