• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To bird or not to bird?

astroantelope

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Megan
Hi there:) I'm moving into my own place at the end of this year and finally have the opportunity to own a feathery friend:D. I would like to know of any suggestions for types of birds that make good pets? Ideally I'm looking for a smallish bird that doesn't make too much noise, but still be able to bond with me and be lovable. I was thinking maybe a lovebird? I'm however not sure if they could be noisy?:lbpied2: Any advice would be great Thanks!!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmmm... hard to say really depends on what your version of noisy is... Personally I think cockatiels make amazing pets but I've known people who think they are too loud. Which is funny to me as I own two very loud cockatoos. You might try going on YouTube to listen to some different kinds of birds. Just keep in mind videos often don't give a true sound of real life but will give you some idea.

Welcome to the forum :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A small bird that is quiet and cuddly and bonds with you is a stuffed toy bird.

A complicated, sometimes-nippy, hard to understand, temperamental bird that throws seed, repeats your foul language, and bites when you ask him to step up....is a real bird.

Lovebirds are noisy to me. Very noisy. They hurt my ears. You will hear others tell you they're not noisy at all. This is because 1. We all react tosounds differently and 2. All birds are different.

@fluffypoptarts

I like cockatiels and have 2 but others say they're too loud.

Whatever you pick, do a TON of research first; volunteering at a pet shelter to get some experience with different types of birds would be a great start.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ditto for Tanya. Cockatiels are as close as it gets to your description. There is no perfect bird species. They are companions that are still hard wired to be wild at times.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I too would suggest a cockatiel. However, loudness is really relative and can vary depending on the individual bird. Have you ever interacted with any birds? The best thing is to be around some and see what you like/dislike.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are you owning or renting a house or apartment? What species interest you? With which species have you interacted comfortably?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I live in an apartment with 8 lovebirds. No complaints from anyone, and I've never found the lovies to be too much for me noise-wise. Male lovies especially make fantastic companions.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! I would also suggest a cockatiel. The females are generally quieter and very easy going.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Kccrazy

Moving in
To bird of course! Everyone has to start somewhere but like all living companions, you really won't know what your doing/getting until your new charge comes home. Do lots and lots of research on your preferred parrot and be sure your ready for the commitment. :fairy2:

Cockatiels can be pretty loud for short periods of time. Budgies are also fabulous little parrots, they can be noisy (lots of chatter) but not so loud (unless you get addicted and have several!). I have no experience with lovies.

Enjoy the research, your bound to learn a lot :feedpigeons:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you have a rescue nearby, if so, make a visit. Its good you are doing research!

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I would suggest like the others and go to a local rescue or store that exclusively sells birds. In that setting they are all noisy for the most part so you will hear many different voices. I have been looking for a companion/therapy bird and just bought a baby caique, but for me personally I instantly ruled out Quaker parrots because I cannot stand the noise that they make.

Go spend some time and you will feel whats right :)

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Another tiel owner here. At least for me, tiels are the perfect bird. They are not too big to make a mess, Bella is pretty easy going as long as you know that she is the boss, is not too loud except for hormones, and makes me smile. Of course, I am biased.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
All parrots are NOISY and what is music to ones ears, is chalk across a blackboard to others! GCC are good apartment birds as the noise levels are minimal compared to say Sun Conures or Toos! Plus they are incredibly talented and even have a sense of humor, albeit, they also have their own personalities!

Good luck in your quest... please do research as suggested! It is sad to see a rehomed fid just because someone thought they would make a great pet! Remember, they have feelings and emotions just as much as you do! :joyful:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please be sure you have access to an avian vet. Very important.