• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To be a Quaker parront or not to be

josiahdham

Moving in
Real Name
Josiah
Disclaimer: my apologies for the length of this post and how many times I’m going to repeat myself.(I also added a picture of my green cheek just for fun. Please ignore the bottom of her cage. It’s cleaning day)

Hello all, I’m very torn and looking for some advice. I wandered into Petco about 2 months ago just to walk around and see what kinda new goodies I could find for my Green Cheek Conure. And as I’m about halfway back through the store(store is very deep but skinny) I hear a very incessant call. I see a couple of people standing in front the bird habitats mocking a parrot for screeching at them. As I stand in the next aisle looking at the treat selection I see person after person just walking by a Blue Quaker and everytime someone even gets close the Quaker begins to screech. Finally, I can’t handle it anymore and decide to go over, my SO(significant other)following with eye rolls. My SO first approach’s as I get distracted by the perches and I immediately hear screeching but quieter(the screeching I can best describe as warning/help screeches). I make my way over and the Quaker immediately gets quiet and turns to more of a chirping noise at me. I stand there for 15 minutes just talking to the little baby and a worker approaches stating “oh, I was worried she died because she never shuts up”. I of course open my big mouth and respond back “yeah, well you probably would to if a bunch of buffoons did nothing all day but tap on the glass at you” after 30-45 minutes of talking to each other my SO finally drags me out of the store.

Well, yesterday(remember 2 months later) we go back again. And there’s my little Quaker buddy still doing the same thing but now shakes when people are approaching. I had the same interaction with her as last time and this time I ask if I can see her. The employee first looks shocked and stammers with “uh, yeah but you’re gonna have to get her out I don’t wanna be bitten”. I of course glare at the employee and say “that’s fine.” She opens it up and quickly backs away as the Quaker reaches her head out at me chirping at me, I offer the back of my hand as she just rubs her face against it for a brief moment before stepping up. At this moment I notice one of her toes are starting to become disformed from standing on the flat surfaces so much. My SO approaches while talking very quietly to the little lady and she allows him to come close but no touching(as soon as he even put the back of his hand up she started a grunting/growling noise). I sadly put her back after spending 30 minutes to an hour with her(of course when people saw her out they immediately wanted to come see and she would start her warning call again).

I am very torn about rescuing this poor girl. The manager offered me 20% because apparently she has been there for 5 months(I don’t actually know the sex I just call all parrots “she” until I know for sure). Quakers are one I have looked at in the past but have always decided no because of the potential for volume level as I live in a duplex(though my neighbors cannot hear my green cheek even when she flock calls for me when my SO gets home and lets her out of her cage). I do have my green cheek, 1 cat and 2 dogs already and have been thinking about adding another feathered member of the family. The cat knows to ignore my green cheek when she’s out and she’s always under supervision, 1 dog is her partner in crime(never gets close to each other, the green cheek just likes to throw her food) and the other dog is afraid of her and avoids her as he thinks she’s weird looking.

Anyway, again back to the topic at hand. Can I get some opinions on what I should do here? My heart is telling me to go rescue the poor baby but my head is going “but, what if her volume is to much”(also, please keep in mind I never hear my neighbors either unless they decide to play music so loud their bass shakes all of the walls. But this is rare). I have already picked out a potential cage. Is there any training you can do to help control volume? She would be getting about 7-9 hours of time out of the cage everyday(unless it’s the weekend then pretty much all day)and typically 10 hours of sleep. I personally am not worried about volume for myself but just for the neighbors. I’m not worried about my SO either as I am my green cheeks chosen one but she tolerates him unless she’s on/in her cage. He’s not allowed to try and touch her or get her to step up when she’s there(unless he wants to be bitten). And I’m sorry to create ANOTHER thread about Quaker volume but I’m just so attached to that little lady already and really want to help her.

Attachments

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another member here just faced a very similar situation and she ended up adopting the resident. Me, personally, even though I HATE pet chains, it's not the bird's fault that s/he ended up in a less than favorable environment. I avoid pet shops for that very reason, because I'd want to bring them all home: big or small. But, if you decide to bring her/him home, you'd be giving it a much better life than being on display for a bunch of insensitive people to torment.
Also, parrots are noisy, but there are plenty of ways to distract them: toys, attention, etc.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Well, I cant lie and say that Quakers are quiet; mine can be pretty loud and I'm glad we live in a house set apart from our neighbors. But I love my Quaker and I'm so glad I found her, even during hormone season as right now.

I hope you can make it work. I have an Avian Adventures Loro for Wally, but she equally loves her roommate's Avian Adventures Chiquita dometop.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Do you plan to move to a state where Quakers are illegal?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I, like Brittany, hate chain pet shops. I try my best to avoid as I know I´d get suckered into buying a bird feeling sorry for it. My local chain store is Kiwoko, I never shop there because they have rodents and birds. I opt for tiendanimal as they have cats and dogs from shelters that are awaiting adoption. No birds.

But I do think you should bring her home, as long as you remember that Quakers are illegal in some states so you wouln´t be able to take her there.

Here´s the other similar thread:
Pet shop resident | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Do whatever you feel is the right thing to do :)

josiahdham

Moving in
Real Name
Josiah
I don’t plan on traveling to any of the states where they are illegal. Main state I go to visit is Nebraska and a I made sure they’re not illegal in Missouri or Iowa since I have to drive through both of them. And absolutely no plans to move to any of the states where they’re illegal. I’ve lived in 2 of them(Colorado and Tennessee) and will never move back to them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I don’t plan on traveling to any of the states where they are illegal. Main state I go to visit is Nebraska and a I made sure they’re not illegal in Missouri or Iowa since I have to drive through both of them. And absolutely no plans to move to any of the states where they’re illegal. I’ve lived in 2 of them(Colorado and Tennessee) and will never move back to them.
Glad you did your homework!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I'd say go for it as long as you know what you're getting into with quakers and know how to deal with both your GCC and the new girl. If you haven't already, you should read through some of the posts in Quaker Causeway to see what issues people commonly deal with in this species.
Normally I'd hesitate because of supporting the shop financially (if she were full price, they'd just replace her with another suffering bird), but since her price is reduced I'd greatly encourage you to help her out! The only issue I'd see is living in a duplex and potential noise problems. I've no advice when it comes to that, because I don't know how loud quakers vs GCCs are. I'm going to tag @Mizzely because she's had both GCCs and quakers, maybe she can give you some advice on sound issues. You might talk with your neighbor if possible and let them know about her, just to discuss it beforehand and talk out any issues about noise.
I think if all works out, it'd be great if you could rescue her from there. Good luck in your decisions! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers in my experience are quite a bit noisier than green cheeks. They aren't as shrill but they sound off loudly and often. I could hear my Quaker outside my house in the backyard (about 5 car lengths away) with the windows closed.

They are also much more prone to cage aggression than a green cheek is, especially after puberty, so I strongly recommend feeder doors for their cages, just in case!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'd say go for it as long as you know what you're getting into with quakers and know how to deal with both your GCC and the new girl.
Agreed!

You know, in your heart, what you should do here...either way, please let us know what you do...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She opens it up and quickly backs away as the Quaker reaches her head out at me chirping at me, I offer the back of my hand as she just rubs her face against it for a brief moment before stepping up.
Oh poor little bird. I feel so heart broken that she has been starved for any attention. :sad5::sad4:

I agree that you need to make an informed choice, quakers will be quakers. I just am so touched that she chose you. After all she has been through she simply wants a friend.

Please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Keep us posted. I say go for it. Sounds like the little one has already fallen in love with you! And you with her as well. I have a Quaker and she can be loud but mostly noisy with her constant chatter. Teaching her to talk has helped her to be more quiet and she's so much fun the chat with! I wouldn't change a thing other than some of her loud sqwuaks . I live in a condo and have neighbors but none have ever complained.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you're getting her. :) I too am not in favor of chains selling birds but as others said, it's not her fault that she's there. Keep us posted. :)

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I am so happy to hear you will be getting the Quaker, please update when you can. I Love Quakers. I have 7 of them, They are my pride and Joy, they are quite good, as I work evening shifts, then in June I work 12 hour night shifts, and they just play in their cages quietly, untill they hear me get up. They do their flock call, and I go see them, and then I take them out of the cages. They make me laugh, as they can be quite comical at times. 6 out of my 7 are talkers, and my oldest is 18 years old, my youngest is 2 years old, they are quite the chatterboxes too, when they are talking, they are smart to, as they learn new words very easily.Mine are not loud, yes they do have their moments at times, when I wake up, but it's because they want to see me, in the afternoons, they know it's their playtime out, so they yell out Want to come out now. Quakers are awesome birds, You will enjoy your Quaker I am sure, when you bring him or her home, have plenty of patience, as it will take a while for your Quaker to get used to new surroundings, and to get to know and trust you, but with plenty of patience and Love your Quaker will blossum.